Unto The Pure
By Brian A. Yeager
A. In the beginning… They were naked and unashamed (Genesis 2:25).
1. Did sin affect how they saw things (Genesis 3:1-11)?
2. Is the difference in pure thinking and carnal thinking the real problem (Galatians 5:16-17)?
B. Be converted and become as what (Matthew 18:1-4)?
1. Consider an application: I Corinthians 14:20
2. What has to occur for spiritual growth to really happen (I Peter 2:1-2)?
II. Body: The Difference Between Pure and Defiled Minds Make A HUGE Difference (Titus 1:15).
A. The pure (I Timothy 1:5 and I John 3:1-3).
1. Meaning those cleansed (II Corinthians 7:1; cf. Hebrews 10:22 and I Peter 1:22-25).
2. Including in heart/mind (Matthew 5:8 and II Peter 3:1).
B. Our lesson isn’t focused on the world vs. Christians. The defiled can be disciples of Christ (I Corinthians 8:7) and the unbelieving can be too (Mark 16:14).
1. That’s right, the defiled and unbelieving could be sitting amongst the saints regularly (Revelation 3:4).
2. We addressed how our hearts and minds need to be pure, for if not, that is where our defilement begins (Mark 7:14-23).
C. The purity of thought we all need to have comes from godly wisdom (James 3:13-18).
1. Therefore, as already noted, let the truth take it’s course (John 15:3).
2. Then do your part (Psalms 119:9).
3. To really learn though, we have to get beyond carnal thinking (I Corinthians 2:14-3:3).
D. Some applications...
1. Pure thinkers saw meats sacrificed to idols differently than those whose minds weren't pure (I Corinthians 8:1-13).
2. Pure thinkers aren’t ashamed of sexual terminology (Proverbs 5:15-21 and I Corinthians 6:12-7:5).
3. Pure thinkers only have a filter in regard to offending the weak (Romans 14:20-22).
4. Pure thinkers get the applications while the defiled get stuck on the illustration (John 3:1-5; cf. Matthew 13:10-17).
5. Pure thinkers understand that sometimes carnal, graphic statements make clear points emphatically (I Kings 14:7-10, Ezekiel 16:28-34, Philippians 3:8, and James 4:4).
III. Conclusion: Keep yourself pure (I Timothy 5:22).
© 2017 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager