A. Sometimes, people miss the “big picture” (Matthew 22:41-45).
- Think about how many people hearing, hear not (Matthew 13:13).
- Think about how those hearing, sometimes understand not (John 8:21-27).
- Even among those that, in contrast to those that hear not, do hear (Mark 4:10-12)…
- … There is at times still that blockage from seeing and understanding for various reasons (Mark 4:33, Luke 22:31-34, John 16:12, etc.).
II. Body: Luke 9:43-56
A. Letting teaching sink down into your ears; in other words - REMEMBER; hold fast to (Proverbs 4:13, I Corinthians 15:1-2, and II Timothy 1:13).
- Don’t let the things you learn slip (Hebrews 2:1).
- To recall the lessons from last week, about keeping the Law of God in our hearts, consider Proverbs 3:1.
- Don’t be a “forgetful hearer” (James 1:25).
- Don’t be like a horse or a mule (Psalms 32:9).
- Understanding takes work (Proverbs 2:1-6).
- It does truly come back to an earlier point of this lesson, don’t have ears that don’t hear (Jeremiah 5:21-23).
- Their zeal was misplaced as was many of their day (Romans 10:1-3).
- They missed the goal of the life and death of Jesus (Luke 19:1-10; cf. I Timothy 1:13-16).
- Jesus didn’t come to destroy His enemies (Romans 5:10 and Colossians 1:21).
- He wants all men to be saved (I Timothy 2:3-6).
- We are not the final judges and need to always remember that (James 4:11-12). *Some people take this to the extreme of compromise. We know better. We know wherein God has already judged (John 12:48) we must comply (i.e. I Corinthians 5:1-13).
III. Conclusion: Figuratively speaking, what does your conduct reveal about the spirit you are of (I John 4:1-6)?
© 1999-2020 Brian A. Yeager