A. Love among saints needs to be sincere (I Peter 1:22).
- A depth of love most wouldn’t understand (i.e. John 15:12-13).
- A depth of love that equips us to do good things for our brethren without a secret displeasure behind it (I Peter 4:8-9).
- God’s people are not liars (Leviticus 19:11, Psalms 119:29, Proverbs 12:19, Proverbs 12:22, Romans 12:17, Ephesians 4:25, Colossians 3:9, and Revelation 21:8).
- Saints “walk honestly” (Romans 13:13).
- Yet, that doesn’t mean much when someone is only a saint outwardly (Matthew 23:27-28).
II. Body: “…I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind…” (Psalms 31:9-13).
A. Sometimes, those we think we can count on are nowhere to be found when truly needed (Psalms 38:10-11).
- Someone says you can count on me… (Matthew 26:31-35).
- Then that person flees in moments of need (Matthew 26:55-58 and Matthew 26:69-75).
- Think of those like Judas (Psalms 41:7-9 and John 13:18-26).
- Think of the those close to Job (Job 19:14).
- Times in Israel when those closest couldn’t be trusted (Micah 7:5-6).
- Times wherein it is hard to find a faithful man (Proverbs 20:6).
- Then we end up hurt because we may have trusted in those in whom we should not have (Proverbs 25:19).
- Actions tell the truth (James 2:14-17 and I John 3:11-18).
- Faithfulness can be seen over time (II Thessalonians 3:7).
- Paul had been hindered from visiting brethren and had other priorities anyway (Romans 1:13 and Romans 15:22-28).
- Even when promises are made (I Corinthians 16:5), sometimes they just cannot be kept even when made with confidence (II Corinthians 1:15-16; 1:23).
- Reason… We may say we will be somewhere at a certain time. How many things can change that promise over which we have NO control? Flat tires, health issues, etc. Isn’t it boastfully wrong to think we have such control over time and chance (James 4:13-16)?
III. Conclusion: Ultimately, no one is capable of guaranteeing that they will stand with you through anything. Learn that lest you get the “where we you” feeling at some point. Therefore… “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes” (Psalms 118:8-9).
© 1999-2022 Brian A. Yeager