They’re (We’re) Not Sound Because Of Getting Most Things Right
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. What does it mean to “be sound” (Psalms 119:80 and Titus 1:13) or “sound in teaching” (Proverbs 2:6-7, Proverbs 3:21, Titus 1:5-9, and Titus 2:1-2)?
1. The word sound, as used in the verses above, means: “entire; without blemish… sound health; well; uncorrupt” (Strong’s #’s 8549 [Hebrew]; 5198 [Greek]).
2. Consider these Scriptures: II Timothy 1:13 and II Timothy 4:1-5
B. Some Scriptures that use the same Greek word as translated “sound” in II Timothy 1:13 and Titus 2:1-2…
1. “Whole” (Luke 5:31).
2. “Wholesome” (I Timothy 6:3).
3. “Health” (III John 1:2).
II. Body: A person or congregation is not sound, whole, spiritually healthy, because they have SOME things right (Luke 4:4, James 2:10-12, and Revelation 2:18-20).
A. The Pharisees had some things right and would even defend those things (Acts 23:7-8)?
1. Yet, they rejected the counsel of God (Luke 7:29-30).
2. They were full of hypocrisy (Matthew 23:27-28).
B. Was the congregation in Ephesus right because they had most things right (Revelation 2:1-7)?
1. They rightfully tested false brethren and exposed those that were such (I John 4:1 and Romans 16:17-18).
2. They worked hard spiritually (I Corinthians 15:58).
3. Yet, they failed in the relationship they ought to have had with the Lord, which is rooted in love (Mark 12:29-30).
a. Love is shown through obedience (I John 5:2-3).
b. However, just going through faithful actions doesn’t do the job fully (I Corinthians 13:1-3).
C. The Apostles were instructed to teach all nations all things Christ wanted of us (Matthew 28:18-20).
1. We need to continue in those things (Acts 2:42).
2. This is how we walk pleasing to God (I Thessalonians 4:1-2).
D. We do nothing if we just get the “core things” right (Matthew 23:23).
1. Churches of Christ that are “5” action based are limited in 100’s of other things…
a. “Five steps of salvation”, but no counting the cost (Luke 14:25-33), teaching real repentance (Acts 26:20), etc.
b. Getting “sing” instead of “play” right (Ephesians 5:19), but not understanding the words they sing (I Corinthians 14:15) or teaching truth in song (Colossians 3:16).
c. Baptism for remission of sins (Acts 2:38), but not teaching CONVERSION (Acts 3:19).
2. What good is having the right worship, the right version of the Bible, the right preacher, and not living the right ways (Philippians 2:14-16)?
3. What good is “hard preaching” without righteous living (Titus 2:10-14)?
4. What good is teaching against false doctrines but never learning the meat of the word (Hebrews 5:12-6:3)?
5. What good is it to be confidently wrong (Romans 10:1-3)?
III. Conclusion: God wants entire, whole, faithfulness individually (Colossians 1:10) and collectively (Ephesians 5:25-27).
© 2016 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager