These Things Choke The Word
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. We all know how important the word of God is for our salvation (Psalms 19:7 and Colossians 1:5-6).
1. You need the word to live (Luke 4:4).
2. The Word is life (John 6:63).
B. We also know that falling away is not a good thing (Hebrews 3:12 and II Peter 2:20-22).
1. You can fall away while still going through the motions (Revelation 2:1-7).
2. Making it to the end, faithfully, is the only way to secure the reward (James 1:12 and I Peter 1:3-9).
II. Body: Mark 4:18-19
A. The cares of this world (Luke 10:38-42).
1. Worldly anxiety is not part of the Christian life (Philippians 4:6-8).
2. Take no thought (Matthew 6:25-34).
a. Yes, you still have to work (II Thessalonians 3:10) and provide (I Timothy 5:8).
b. Yet, that is not all there is to life (Luke 12:22-23).
3. DonŐt get entangled with (II Timothy 2:3-4).
B. The deceitfulness of riches (Proverbs 23:5).
1. Do you really want to trust in worldly wealth (Psalms 52:1-8, Jeremiah 9:23-24, and I Timothy 6:17)?
2. Riches do not last (Proverbs 27:24).
3. What are you when you lay up treasures for self on earth (Luke 12:13-21)?
C. The lusts of other things (Romans 13:14 and I Peter 2:11).
1. Lusts are evidence of carnal mindedness (I Peter 4:1-2 and I John 2:15-17), which renders service to God impossible (Romans 8:4-8).
2. Grace teaches us to leave these things behind (Titus 2:11-14).
III. Conclusion: We must always lay aside that which hinders the effect of the word of God in our lives (I Peter 2:1-2).
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager