A. In the Scriptures, the life of a Christian is referred to as a fight (I Timothy 6:11-12).
- We strive [fight] to enter at the straight gate (Luke 13:23-24).
- We strive for the mastery [fight] to finish (I Corinthians 9:24-27 and II Timothy 4:6-8).
- We have to war a good warfare (I Timothy 1:18-20).
- We see the imagery of armor (Ephesians 6:10-17).
- Weapons that are not carnal (II Corinthians 10:1-5).
- Evangelists were taught to endure hardness as good soldiers of Jesus Christ (II Timothy 2:1-4).
- Do we really want to take ease (Luke 12:13-21)?
- How does the Lord expect to find us when He comes (Luke 12:35-40)?
- We talk of working until the time comes for a rest (Hebrews 4:9-11). What about fighting until the fight is over (II Timothy 4:6-8; cf. Revelation 2:10)?
II. Body: Let Us Watch and Be Sober (I Thessalonians 5:1-10).
A. What does it mean to watch (I Corinthians 16:13)?
- “Keep awake, i.e. watch (literally or figuratively): — be vigilant, wake, (be) watch(-ful)…” (Strong’s # 1127).
- In other words, be alert (I Corinthians 15:34).
- Those not alert are perceived as dead (Ephesians 5:14-17).
- In verse 2 is about abstaining from wine. In verse 4: “To make of sound mind, i.e. (figuratively) to discipline or correct: — teach to be sober…” (Strong’s # 4994). In verse 6 “To be of sound mind, i.e. sane, (figuratively) moderate: — be in right mind, be sober (minded), soberly…” (Strong’s # 4993).
- The idea of all three words in Titus 2:2-6 is to be capable of being alert; in the right frame of mind (I Peter 1:13-16).
- Even with spiritual gifts in play in the first century, where some might not need to give thought (Matthew 10:16-20), a sound mind was of great need (II Timothy 1:7).
- The return of our Lord (Matthew 24:42-51).
- Figuratively speaking - Satan, his followers, Satan’s will (Ephesians 4:27 and I Peter 5:8-9; cf. Acts 4:32-5:10 and I John 3:8-10).
- Erring brethren (Acts 20:28-31).
- This is NOT just about brethren teaching false doctrine. What about influence (I Corinthians 15:33)?
- False doctrine is a leaven to be aware of (Galatians 5:7-9), but not the only leaven to be aware of (I Corinthians 5:1-8).
- Those that creep in unawares need contended with Jude 1:3-4 without violating Matthew 7:6, II Timothy 2:14, II Timothy 2:23, Titus 3:9-11, etc.
- Watch as not to enter into temptation (Mark 14:38).
III. Conclusion: We are not in Heaven yet. Live like you understand that (Philippians 3:7-21).
© 1999-2021 Brian A. Yeager