Another Sermon Outline By Brian A. Yeager
Some Are Too “At Ease” Concerning FC
**(Most of the links in this outline are screenshots of the FC website)**
There is a printable version of this outline in PDF format here: Some Are Too “At Ease” Concerning FC (PDF)
I. Introduction: We are warned about being “at ease” (Amos 6:1-6; cf. Hebrews 12:22-23).
A. Too many feel that FC is “not an issue” (II Thessalonians 2:10-12).
1. If people are doing something without God’s authority, it is an issue (Leviticus 10:1-2 and II Samuel 7:1-7).
2. We can never argue what is and what is not “severe errors” or “less severe errors” (Isaiah 8:20).
3. If you believe mechanical instrumental music, orphanages, colleges being supported by the church, missionary societies, etc. are sinful, consistency demands your conclusion be the same on this matter (Matthew 23:23-24).
a. Illustration: If Joe works for a shoe company and his boss says we’re going to start the “Endicott Johnson Truth Center” to host worship services, train preachers, and hold gospel meetings MOST would oppose that.
b. Why won’t those same people oppose FC? Katrina and I use to hate the idea of scorpions, rattle snakes, lizards, black widows, etc. The more we see them, the more we are more “comfortable” with them being around us. To a danger, if we drop our guard, we could be harmed or even killed. FC has become something many have become used to seeing. It is a favorite pillow, a comfortable blanket, even a dangerous dog that has not bitten you in years so you are less afraid of it. Caution: Jeremiah 12:6 and Colossians 2:8.
B. Even if not faced with error directly right now, we have some tasks to consider rather than just sitting on the “sidelines” (Numbers 32:1-7, II Samuel 11:11, Proverbs 17:15; 18:5; 28:4, Isaiah 56:10-12, Obadiah 11, and Philippians 2:4).
1. Being aware (II Corinthians 2:11 and I Thessalonians 5:6), by being accurately informed (II Timothy 4:14-15).
2. Being prepared against (Nehemiah 2:17 and Philippians 1:17).
3. Warning others (Romans 16:17-18).
II. Body: What’s Wrong With FC (Psalms 127:1)?
A. First off, the EXISTENCE of a religious human institution without God’s authority (Matthew 28:18-20, Luke 11:28, John 12:48-50, Colossians 3:17, I John 2:3-6, II John 9, and Revelation 22:14).
1. There are three organizations authorized by God:
a. The family began with Adam and Eve (Genesis 2:18-25).
i. The husband is the head of this organization (Ephesians 5:22-24).
ii. The family begins with a husband and a wife (Matthew 19:4-6). The family grows when children are conceived (Genesis 4:1).
iii. Once those children are grown, they may create new families through scriptural marriages and the process mentioned above repeating itself (Ephesians 5:31).
iv. The family is funded through the hard work of the individuals that make up those families (Proverbs 31:10-31, II Thessalonians 3:10, and I Timothy 5:8).
b. Civil government is another organization that is authorized to exist through the Scriptures (Romans 13:1-5).
i. Civil government is separate from the family. God’s people are expected to submit to civil government (I Peter 2:13-16). The only time Christians may disobey civil government is when obedience to the laws of men conflict with obedience to the law of God (Acts 5:17-29).
ii. Civil government is funded through taxation (Matthew 22:15-21 and Romans 13:6-7).
c. The church of Christ was established by Jesus (Matthew 16:18).
i. The purchase price was His blood (Acts 20:28 and Ephesians 5:25).
ii. Christ is the head of the church (Ephesians 1:20-23). Jesus makes all the rules and they are never to be changed (Revelation 22:18-19).
iii. Jesus decided to have qualified men called elders to oversee His church according to His rules (Acts 20:28-31, I Timothy 3:1-7, and Titus 1:5-9).
iv. Each congregation (or local church) is individually overseen (I Peter 5:1-4), funded, etc.
v. The local church receives her funds through the freewill offering of the saints upon the first day of the week (I Corinthians 16:1-2).
2. VERY SIMPLY PUT – IF God wanted us to form an organization that trains preachers, holds worship services (chapel), conducts preaching meetings (lectures), etc.; HE WOULD HAVE SAID SO (II Timothy 3:16-17 and II Peter 1:3). He would have said how to fund it, organize it, head it, etc.!!!!!!
B. Answering some arguments, while being careful not to violate God’s word (cf. II Timothy 2:23).
1. The Matthew 28:19 (i.e. John Smith Cedar Park saying it’s evangelism).
a. This argument allows/demands church financial aid (I Corinthians 9:14).
b. It is the missionary society argument, which proves they do not care about properly using Scriptures (II Timothy 2:14-18 and II Peter 3:16-18).
c. Begs to ask why there was never a Jerusalem Bible College. Didn’t the Apostles therefore fail as well as the H.S. (John 16:13)!
2. The “not supported by the church” argument would also approve of mechanical instrumental music in worship provided that the church did not buy the instrument (some would say that is not a parallel, but in every way it is).
a. Neither of these are authorized by God, so they are equal doctrines of men (Matthew 15:9).
b. We are told to sing (Ephesians 5:19), but not told we cannot play. Same as told to worship with the local church, train preachers, etc. outside of the college without being told we cannot form a college to do those things. Silence forbids (Jeremiah 7:30-31)!
c. What Scripture says colleges are okay so long as they are not church supported?
3. My daughter wants to go to FC and I don’t see a problem with that is the old parent becoming the child concept (Proverbs 22:6).
4. Good place to meet a mate. Finding a mate can be good (Proverbs 18:22), but FC does not have faithful Christians any more than ACU!
a. As we shall prove out more, FC is full of error. Finding one of like mind there is like finding a faithful Christian at the Playboy mansion.
b. You marry a young person and the school in this case (see alma mater again) and consider this: Ephesians 5:31!
**NOTE: The following Florida College links made me feel like I was looking at spiritual pornography (Ezekiel 16:30-32). If you are a diligent student, prepare to puke who if you’re one who “get’s it” (Revelation 3:16)!
c. Sadly, instead of mom and dad helping, this school is a marriage institution as well: http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/fcmarriages.jpg
5. Look at all the good works is calling something good that God does not call good (Isaiah 5:20).
C. Thirdly, how can you miss the things they say and do which show this is not “good work” (Matthew 7:15-20)?
1. Their spiritual promises (cf. II Peter 2:17-19) - http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/fcpromises.jpg
2. How can anyone miss that FC acts like the church (THEY HAVE: preaching, edification, and benevolence while claiming to be pillars of truth). The church is God’s organization that is the pillar and ground of the truth (I Timothy 3:15). But, notice what FC claims (http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/fcalmamater.jpg, http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/fcbenevolence.jpg, http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/goodsamaritans.jpg, AND http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/whychoosefc.jpg).
a. Wait, there’s more to prove they act like the church: http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/fcmustgotochapel.jpg; AND http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/fcwhathappensinchapel.jpg
b. With COLLECTIVE worship services [edification], benevolence, preaching, praying, etc. how can anyone miss that FC acts like the church?
3. Their upcoming Bible Land Tour tells us a lot: http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/fcitalytrip1.jpg
a. Walking by sight on these trips (II Corinthians 5:7).
b. Brown bagging worship (Acts 20:7).
c. Can the carnal mind please God (Romans 8:4-8)?
d. This is the type of spiritual guidance one gets at this unauthorized human institution (Matthew 15:14).
e. The company heading the FC trip has been suggested by ACU, Pepperdine, Baptists, Harding, etc. (notice in chart). If not, they’ll worship on their own (THIS IS A COLLEGE HOSTING A WORSHIP SERVICE)!!
4. The endorsement of known false teachers (i.e. Ed Harrell): http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/edharrellatfc.jpg
a. Your associations (“longtime friend”) says a lot about you (Psalms 26:4-5, I Timothy 5:22, and II John 9-11).
b. The unity in diversity error, days of creation, MDR, and others are a testament to the FC unity in diversity position. What will that produce (Luke 6:43)?
5. The loyalty to this human institution should scare us and also shows again they act like the church (http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/fcalmamater.jpg). Isn’t the “party spirit” [heresies] sinful (Galatians 5:19-21)?
6. How they RECRUIT: http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/fccamps.jpg
a. Proverbs 1:10-19 applies.
b. They certainly have a sales pitch (Ephesians 5:6 and II Peter 2:1-3).
c. By all that we’ve seen, FC RECRUITS young people to SPIRITUALLY conduct their growth. Then, how do you oppose the social gospel and denominational/liberal carnal tactics of conversion/teaching, etc.?
7. Preacher training programs: http://www.wordsoftruth.net/files/fcpreachertraining.jpg
a. Are preachers to be trained by schools (II Timothy 2:2)?
b. Do you need a degree in Bible to be a Christian, elder, parent, teacher, etc. (cf. Ecclesiastes 12:13-14)?
A. FC is a human institution, under the oversight of a board of directors, doing spiritual work. Where’s the authority? If FC is authorized, so is the missionary society, Endicott Johnson Shoe Company Bible Lectures, etc.
B. God hath not spoken concerning FC, which is a loaded message (Proverbs 30:5-6 and Luke 4:4)!
© 2009 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager