Questions and Outline for class
Questions on Elders
1. What are the qualifications of an elder?
2. Will elders be accountable for the flock?
3. Would a 25 year-old man be a qualified elder?
Why or why not?
4. Could a woman be an elder?
Why or why not?
5. What is a bishop?
6. Should an elder lead by example?
7. Do elders have the right to change scripture?
8. What did Paul instruct the Ephesian elders to do?
9. Is the congregation subject to the authority
What if they are biblically wrong?
9. How should an elder that is wrong be approached?
What qualifications do you think are most overlooked in elders today?
Underlined and bolded indicates a qualification not mentioned in the other text.
5. For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:
6. If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
7. For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
8. But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
9. Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
I Timothy 3:1-7
1. This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3. Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4. One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5. (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6. Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7. Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
Some elders also do not understand that they will answer
for their rulings – Hebrews 13:17
I Peter 5:1-4 – Lead by example
Copyright 2001 by Brian Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.