A. Unfortunately, we live in a world where people improperly judge based on appearance (Matthew 23:27-28).
- We [saints] know better (John 7:24).
- Yet, we have to have some awareness of how we appear to others (I Thessalonians 5:22).
- Not using the world’s definition of such terms (John 6:63, I Corinthians 3:19, II Timothy 3:16-17, and I John 2:15-17).
- Making sure we don’t create definitions of such terms either that are inconsistent with the word of God (i.e. - some would define such terms making our sinless Savior a sinner - i.e. John 2:13-17).
II. Body: An Elder Must Be Of Good Behavior (I Timothy 3:2).
A. The terms we are discussing mean: “orderly, i.e. decorous: — of good behaviour, modest. Well-arranged, seemly, modest” (Strong’s # 2887).
- This term only appears one other time in the New Testament and it is translated “modest” in that passage (I Timothy 2:9).
- The thought about modest apparel is that one’s character stands out above their dress, looks (I Timothy 2:10 and I Peter 3:1-4).
- Some would carnally think of a man who can dress like a businessman as a future elder. A pig could be dressed up in a suit and a tie, that doesn’t make that pig a Christian let alone an elder (Proverbs 11:22).
- Think about the immodesty of an overly appareled man (James 2:1-4).
- Clothed in a godly manner with proper conduct (Colossians 3:10-17).
- One who’s fruit displays a spiritual mind (Galatians 5:22-23).
- This may be what the world looks for in "spiritual leaders" (Luke 7:24-28).
- What would that mindset conclude about John (Matthew 3:1-6)?
- The Lord doesn’t approve of men that want to be seen, heard, and exalted (Matthew 6:1-8 and Acts 12:20-23).
- Look for men to be presentable in conduct, but do not want to stand above the message, work, etc. (Acts 14:8-18 and I Corinthians 4:1-6).
- Think about Jesus (Isaiah 53:2).
III. Conclusion: Does This Man Look The Part To Godly Eyes (Philippians 1:27)?
© 1999-2019 Brian A. Yeager