A. There will be evil and good reports regarding faithful saints (II Corinthians 6:1-8).
- The fact is, faithful saints and teachers often have things said of them that are negative and untrue (Matthew 5:10-12).
- Faithful men do not necessarily want everyone to speak well of them (Luke 6:26).
- Our conduct must be as becometh the Gospel (Philippians 1:27).
- If you live to be a pattern of good to follow, you can accomplish this (Titus 2:7-8).
II. Body: Having A Good Report Of Them Which Are Without (I Timothy 3:7).
A. The term translated “report” in this qualification means: “evidence given (judicially or genitive case): — record, report, testimony, witness” (Strong’s # 3141). It appears 37 times in the KJV translated as “witness(es)” (15), “testimony” (14), “record” (7), and “report” (1).
- The term is used when talking about witnesses (Mark 14:55-59).
- The term is used about a record of events (John 1:19).
- The term is translated as “testimony” (John 5:34).
- The greatest witness or record is that which comes from God (I John 5:1-13).
- Credible witnesses serve as evidence throughout the entirety of the Scriptures (Deuteronomy 17:6-7, Deuteronomy 19:15, Matthew 18:15-17, John 8:17-18, II Corinthians 13:1, I Timothy 5:19, and Hebrews 10:28).
- People will misapply what God calls good (Malachi 2:17).
- The way God perceives good and what man calls good are not the same (Luke 16:15).
- It is upon us to test what is good (Romans 12:1-2 and I Thessalonians 5:21).
- We have to properly use the Scriptures to know what is good according to our Lord (II Timothy 3:15-17).
- The good report is to come from those without, meaning people outside of the faith (Mark 4:10-11 and I Corinthians 5:9-13).
- The point is, this man must have a good reputation amongst even people of the world (Proverbs 4:18, Ecclesiastes 7:1, Philippians 2:14-16, and I Peter 4:1-16).
- How do those around him speak of him outside of the congregation (Acts 22:12)?
- This point is illustrated in one way concerning a person whom desires to be rich (I Timothy 6:6-10).
- To avoid this, remove whatever would cause you to fall (Deuteronomy 7:22-26).
- Walking wisely, especially towards those without (Colossians 4:6), will leave us free from traps (Proverbs 1:1-19).
III. Conclusion: It is possible to have a good report from all (III John 1:12).
© 1999-2019 Brian A. Yeager