No Sir, I Am Not In The Military
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager (http://www.wordsoftruth.net)
A. First, let me “suggest” that no one should jump to conclusions about the content of this sermon based on the title (Proverbs 18:13).
1. I am not preaching against the military (Acts 10:1-2).
2. I am not suggesting that we’re not soldiers in a spiritual battle either (I Timothy 6:12 and II Timothy 2:3-4).
B. Idea behind this sermon - Based on my appearance, mannerisms, living in a military town, etc.; I’ve had many times wherein someone assumed I am/was in the military:
1. One should never judge based on appearances (John 7:24).
2. No one would have judged, based on appearances alone, that…
a. …Moses, son Pharaoh’s daughter (Exodus 2:8-10), would lead Israel to freedom (Psalms 77:20).
b. …David was “the man” (I Samuel 16:1-13 and I Samuel 17:32-33; 41-51).
c. …There was not a greater man than John (Matthew 11:11) considering how he lived (Matthew 3:4).
d. …Jesus was/is the Almighty (Isaiah 9:6), THE KING of all (Colossians 1:16-17 and Revelation 17:14), considering that He didn’t appear so (Isaiah 53:2-3, Mark 15:19, and Luke 9:58).
II. Body: It’s Not Because Of The Military, But Because Of The Lord That We Should Live The Way We Live (I Timothy 6:11, Titus 2:7-8, and I John 2:6).
A. …Because of the Lord, we should have certain manners and behaviors (Philippians 1:27).
1. Be respectful to all (I Timothy 5:1-2 and I Peter 2:17).
2. Living so that we are blameless (Ephesians 1:3-4).
B. … Because of the Lord, we need to have a different concern about our physical appearance than people of the world do (I Peter 3:3-5).
1. Our hair lengths (I Corinthians 11:14-15).
2. Modesty (I Timothy 2:8-10).
3. Covering our nudity (Genesis 3:21 and Exodus 28:42).
4. Sex appropriate clothing (Deuteronomy 22:5).
C. … Because of the Lord, we need to act properly like men and women (Titus 2:1-6).
1. Men need to act like men (I Corinthians 16:13; cf. Acts 15:25-26 and Ephesians 5:23-25).
2. Women need to act like women (Proverbs 31:10-31).
III. Conclusion: II Corinthians 1:12
© 2011 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager