I. What are Spiritual Gifts?
A. Gifts given by the Holy Spirit as listed: (I Corinthians 12:4-11).1. Examples of them being used – Acts 2:1-8, Acts 3:2-11, Acts 5:15-16, Acts 14:8-11, Acts 20:7-10, and Acts 28:1-10.B. Anyone today claiming to have this ability needs to prove it (I Thessalonians 5:21, I John 4:1, and Matthew 10:8).
A. Holy Spirit baptism1. Promised and given to the Apostles (John 14:16-17, John 16:13, Luke 24:47-49, Acts 1:5-8, and Acts 2:1-4).B. Through the laying on of Apostles hands (Acts 8:17-18, Acts 19:1-6, and Romans 1:11).
C. There are those that contend that Acts 2:38 “the gift of the Holy Spirit” is given to all who are baptized.
1. The word “gift” in Acts 2:38 [or the Greek word “dorea”] is the same as used in Acts 8:20 and in Acts 10:45.D. What were Spiritual Gifts used for?
1. To confirm the word (Mark 16:15-20, I Corinthians 14:22, and Hebrews 2:3-4.)
A. I Corinthians 12:31 “But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.” the next chapter.....OTHER CHARTS SHOWING THAT MODERN DAY "FAKE HEALERS" ARE MONEY HUNGRY THEIVES AND LIARS. THEY CANNOT PROVE, AND CHALLENGES HAVE BEEN MADE, THAT THEY CAN DO THESE THINGS. THE BIBLE TEACHES THEY CANNOT AS SHOWN ABOVE. THE BIBLE ALSO TEACHES THAT THEY NEED TO PROVE IT IF THEY HAVE THAT ABILITY.
Study – “teleios” the English word “perfect in I Corinthians 13:10
Goal: Identifying what the word “that which is perfect” is and by this knowing when Spiritual Gifts would cease.
The word perfect
“teleios” appears in James 1:25 and Romans 12:2. How do we know the
perfect will of God (hint -II Timothy 3:16-17)?
Liars and Thieves
1. “It is a compete contradiction that God’s "miracle healer" (Oral) would found a major medical centre! Think about it! Oral Roberts, you may recall, is the man who claimed that Jesus told him God had chosen him to find an effective treatment for cancer. In a lengthy appeal, Roberts avowed that the Lord told him, "I would not have had you and your partners build the 20-story research tower unless I was going to give you a plan that will attack cancer." Roberts then said that Jesus instructed him to tell his partners that "this is not Oral Roberts asking [for the money] but their Lord." The project was completed, but has since been "shut down and sold to a group of investors for commercial development." And no cure for cancer was found. (Hank Hanegraaff, Christianity In Crisis, 1993, pg. 31 citing Russell Chandler, "Talked with Jesus, Evangelist Says", The Los Angeles Times, 3 February 1983, p3,16 and Clark Morphew, "What's to become of Oral Roberts 'City Of Faith?'" St. Paul Pioneer Press, 27 June 1992; reprinted in The Christian News (20 July 1992, p2) “
2. “Prosperity teachers are so committed to presenting a Jesus who wears a Rolex that they are willing to do whatever it takes to sell this myth to their parishioners. Oral Roberts, for example, wrote a book titled "How I Learned Jesus Was Not Poor." (Hank Hanegraaff, Christianity In Crisis, 1993, pg. 187)”
3. “On January 4, 1987, Roberts launched his most notable campaign to date. Roberts told his followers that if he did not raise a total of 8 million dollars by March, God was going to take his life ... Comparing himself to the apostle Paul, Roberts begged not to let Satan defeat him. "God" he says, "clearly told me he needs me here on earth. And here's why -- because of all the ministries, this ministry is the only one God has on this earth that owns a medical school." ... Some time later, Oral's son, Richard, took pen in hand to warn of his father's impending doom. Without "the additional $4,500.000." explains Richard, "God will not extend Dad's life" He then pleads, "Partner, we cannot let this man of God die. There is no reason for him to die." ... After sternnly warning, "if you neglect to pay attention ... then Satan will take advantage and hit you with bad things and you will wish that 1985 had never come, " Roberts closed his letter with a hard sell. Sending a seed-faith gift will not only enable you to "stop Satan in his hate to bring you down," it will also "help you get your hundredfold return." (Hank Hanegraaff, Christianity In Crisis, 1993, pg. 196-198)”
4. “Oral Roberts used 3 John 2: "I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers." to say to his wife, "Evelyn, now this means that we're supposed to prosper" (as Christians). Roberts goes on to recount how, after discovering this verse, God gave him a brand-new Buick. ... Evelyn enthusiastically agreed with Oral that to prosper "is God's highest wish for us." (Hank Hanegraaff, Christianity In Crisis, 1993, pg. 223 citing Roberts, "A Daily Guide to Miracles" (Tulsa, OK: Pinoak Press, 1975, p36-38 passim.)”
APPLICATION FOR STATUS OF CLAIMANT
drawn up by James Randi
outlines the general rules covering my offer concerning psychic, supernatural
or paranormal claims. Since claims will vary greatly in character and scope,
specific rules must be formulated for each applicant. However, all applicants
must agree to the rules set forth here before any formal agreement is entered
into. An applicant will declare agreement by signing this form w here indicated
before a notary public and returning the form to me. The eventual test
procedure must be agreed upon by both parties before any testing procedures
will take place. We do not act as judges. We do not design the protocol
independently of the claimant. All applicants must identify themselves
properly before any discussion takes place. Due to the large amount of
correspondence exchanged on this subject, all correspondence must include
a stamped, self-addressed envelope or in the case of foreign letters, simply
a self- addressed envelope.
This offer, as
of May 1, 1996, is managed and guaranteed by the James Randi Educational
Foundation (J.R.E.F.), Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
The Bible teaches that Spiritual Gifts have ceased. The information above show how money hungry these false teachers and fake healers are. Seems as though they have the Simon problem (Acts 8:13-24).
Copyright 2001 by Brian Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.