A. In no way should this lesson be taken as teaching against the need for elders. It is the will of God that every congregation have elders (Acts 14:21-23 and Titus 1:5).
- Qualified elders (I Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9) are supposed to oversee the flock (I Peter 5:1-4). *For details on the qualifications of elders, see: https://www.wordsoftruth.net/qualifiedelders.html
- They have the authority to rule over the flock (Hebrews 13:7; 13:17).
- From the beginning, man was not well to be alone (Genesis 2:18).
- Faithful companionship is helpful in many ways (Proverbs 27:17, Ephesians 4:14-16, Hebrews 3:13, Jude 1:22-23, etc.).
II. Body: Proverbs 6:4-11
A. At some point, don’t we need to grow to the point wherein we don’t need someone to hold our hand (Philippians 2:12; cf. Philippians 1:21-27)?
- Think about raising our children. From sitting up, to crawling, to walking, to education, etc… We teach our children independence. Spiritual maturity is similar (Hebrews 5:12-6:2; cf. I Corinthians 14:20 and Ephesians 4:13-14).
- This is not a point wherein we ought to puff ourselves up (Proverbs 25:27) or think we have earned salvation without our Lord (Ephesians 2:1-10).
- What is the reward based on (Matthew 16:27, Romans 2:6, I Corinthians 3:8, Galatians 6:7-9, and Revelation 22:12)?
- Judged for the good and bad (II Corinthians 5:10).
- Destinations for the good and the evil (John 5:28-29).
- This is NOT to say that what we do collectively, as a congregation, is somehow without accountability (Revelation 3:14-22).
- This is also NOT to downplay the significance of error in fellowship either (Romans 16:17-18, Ephesians 5:6-11, I Timothy 5:22, II John 1:9-11, and Revelation 2:14-16).
- Think about those who’d rather send money to an unauthorized human institution to care for the fatherless or widows rather than obey James 1:21-27 as written to individual saints.
- What about those who pay for child care rather than care for their own children? Who should be telling our children the important things of life (Psalms 78:1-7)? *Current politics in America wants to have universal pre K and government involved daycare starting at age 2. Man-made institutions want to raise your children in the likeness of the world!
- How many people have the “call someone else” mentality rather than being good neighbors (Luke 10:25-37)?
III. Conclusion: Drill this into your head… Galatians 6:3-5
© 1999-2021 Brian A. Yeager