Gird Up The Loins Of Your Mind
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Our actions start with thoughts (Micah 2:1).
1. When we think sinfully we can expect sinful actions to occur (Mark 7:20-23; cf. James 1:14-15).
2. Our thoughts are a reflection of our hearts (Jeremiah 4:14).
3. Thus, it is important that we set our hearts on the right things (Deuteronomy 32:46) and think properly too (Philippians 4:8).
B. Your mindset should have changed when you obeyed the Gospel (Romans 12:1-3 and Ephesians 4:22-24).
1. Thoughts of the righteous are different than evildoers (Proverbs 12:5).
2. The converted mind puts God first, always (Mark 12:30)!
II. Body: Gird [secure] The Loins Of Your Mind (I Peter 1:13).
A. Controlling your mind means you have to self-control (Romans 13:14 and I Corinthians 9:25-27), which has many applications. Notice a FEW:
1. Self-control with anger (Proverbs 16:32 and James 1:19-20).
2. Self-control in talking (Proverbs 13:3, Proverbs 21:23, and James 3:2).
3. Self-control in spending (Proverbs 21:17 and Luke 15:13).
4. Even in the smallest of things, you need to exercise control over your desires (Proverbs 23:1-3; 25:16).
B. Getting your mind ready for some things means youŐll need to expect BAD things from time to time (i.e. Acts 14:22).
1. What do you expect from worldly people (John 15:18-19, I John 4:4-6, and I John 5:19)?
2. Do you really think everything is always going to be okay [IN THE FLESH] for godly people (Acts 12:1-2 and II Corinthians 12:7-9)?
3. Do you think your plans cannot be hindered (I Thessalonians 2:14-18)?
4. A prepared mind will prevent you from falling apart during these tough times we can EXPECT to see (II Corinthians 4:8-10).
C. Secure minds are focused minds (Colossians 3:1-4).
1. When things go bad, have the mindset that greater things are to come (Luke 6:22-23, Hebrews 11:24-26, and I John 2:25).
2. When things go bad, donŐt forget that you still have an example to set for others (Philippians 2:14-16, Philippians 4:5, and I Peter 2:11-12).
3. When things go bad, you shouldŐve expected it (John 16:33).
III. Conclusion: Set your mind now! You will have to endure to the finish (Hebrews 6:13-15 and James 1:12).
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager