A. Christians have to embrace not “fitting in” (Romans 12:1-3).
- We have to live like we are strangers to the world (I Peter 2:11).
- Are you willing to be perceived as “strange” (I Peter 4:1-5)?
- We should live as though our accomplishments are not in this world (Hebrews 11:8-16; 24-26).
- Think about how God exalts the poor over the carnally successful as food for thought on these things (James 1:9-11; 2:1-9).
II. Body: It’s Not Good To Want To Be Exalted (Luke 14:7-14).
A. Don’t put yourself in that place (Proverbs 15:33; 25:6-7 and Matthew 23:1-12).
- Be humble (Proverbs 15:33; 16:19; 18:12; 22:4, and Matthew 18:1-4).
- Don’t have to be humbled (Proverbs 29:23, Isaiah 2:11, Luke 18:9-14, and James 4:6-10).
- This includes doing “good” to get some kind of recognition or glory (Matthew 6:1-4).
- When you do that which is good and right here on earth, look for the reward in the life to come (Matthew 25:31-46 and John 5:28-29).
- Glory is to be had for us, but not here and now (I Peter 1:1-9; 5:4-6).
- God will give us honor if we serve Christ (John 12:25-26).
- Therefore, embrace a place of humility now (Luke 9:46-48).
III. Conclusion: Learn From Christ In Regard To Not Needing Honor Or Approval Of Men (John 5:30-47).
© 1999-2020 Brian A. Yeager