A. In our lesson last week, we addressed each of us as individuals choosing the way of truth (Psalms 119:111).
- Such individual choices are independent of anyone else (Luke 10:38-42).
- This is why we will stand individually before the Lord in Judgment (II Corinthians 5:10-11).
- We must always remember that the church was/is to be about glorifying our Father by Christ Jesus (Ephesians 3:14-21).
- And as the body of Christ, we are collectively to be without spot, wrinkle, or any such thing (Ephesians 5:27).
II. Body: Colossians 2:20-23
A. Let us start off from here reminding ourselves whose house we are when we are together and working as the congregation in this city (Hebrews 3:1-6).
- As the house of the Lord, our citizenship is not of this world (Ephesians 2:19-21 and Hebrews 12:22-23).
- Therefore, let’s not look to the world for how we are to function as the body of our Lord (Ephesians 4:15-16).
- Consider how one, or even several brethren doing spiritual work is not the church in action until assembled together as a congregation (Matthew 18:15-17).
- Consider the same principle in how such is shown in taking care of widows indeed (I Timothy 5:3-16).
- If you cannot see the two above examples, let me illustrate this with the most carnal example I can think of to reach the carnally minded (John 3:12). Are two faithful Christians in the marital bed the local church at work (I Corinthians 7:1-5 and Hebrews 13:4)?
- We can tarry for one another [the Lord’s Supper] (I Corinthians 11:33), but not until Monday (Acts 20:7).
- We can bear with the brother or sister that has an overbearing conscience (Romans 15:1-3), but not if such causes doubtful disputes (Romans 14:1-3).
- When men were sent to teach (Matthew 28:17-20) and others given authority to obey those men (Acts 2:42); they could not and did not teach whatever they wanted (John 16:13, I Corinthians 4:1-6, I Corinthians 4:17, I Corinthians 11:1, I Corinthians 14:37, and II Timothy 2:2).
- Even in contexts regarding spiritual gifts, what was done in the body of Christ was as it pleased God (I Corinthians 12:18).
- …Women must be granted roles of authority above men in the churches (I Corinthians 14:34-35 and I Timothy 2:11-12)?
- …That churches must have presidents, vice presidents, secretaries, etc. (Ephesians 4:7-12 and Philippians 1:1)?
- …Homosexuals must be accepted in the churches (Ephesians 5:1-3; cf. Acts 2:47)?
- …Churches must pay taxes or fees to the government from the Lord’s money (I Corinthians 16:1-4, II Corinthians 8:1-9:13, II Corinthians 11:8-9, Philippians 4:10-18, and I Timothy 5:16-18)? *Caution, some would ignorantly apply Romans 13:5-7 to the body of Christ without Christ’ authority. There was never authority for the congregation to collect funds for collective taxes. Here is where the “Business Meeting” mentality leads to further errors.
- …Churches cannot assemble (Hebrews 10:25)?
III. Conclusion: As saints AND collectively as the body of Christ, let’s not allow civil laws to supersede THE WAY OF TRUTH (Acts 5:17-29).
© 1999-2019 Brian A. Yeager