Baptism WonŐt Change You
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Last week we discussed the battle between the carnal and spiritual mind (Galatians 5:16-17).
1. Many of us may have had a past of living according to carnal pleasures (Titus 3:3).
2. That should be our past, not our present (Romans 6:17-22).
B. We should have changed, and not just outwardly either (Joel 2:13).
1. Yes, outward changes have to occur in the process of repentance (Matthew 3:8 and Acts 26:20).
2. However, there must be a change in thinking to leave sin and come to the Lord (Ezekiel 18:31 and Ephesians 4:22-24).
3. You donŐt want to be one who is doing ŇreligiousÓ things while having no real relationship with the Lord (Matthew 7:21-23).
II. Body: You Have To Change (Acts 3:19).
A. Some people have the false idea that baptism magically changes peopleÉ
1. Baptism is by all means necessary for salvation (Mark 16:15-16, Galatians 3:27, and I Peter 3:20-21).
2. Baptism, being alone, is not what saves us (Matthew 13:19, Luke 14:25-33, John 8:23-24, Acts 2:38-41, Acts 8:26-39, Acts 18:8, Romans 8:24, Colossians 1:23, James 2:1-26, etc.).
3. All things considered, if you were to say something is more important than another, baptism would not be it (Romans 10:14-17 and I Corinthians 1:14-18; cf. Psalms 19:7 and Psalms 51:13).
B. God expects conversion to occur (Matthew 18:3).
1. Conversion is changing from one thing to another (Acts 26:18).
2. The change that occurs for one to be converted is something you must do (II Corinthians 7:1).
3. Just remember, when carnality is within us bad things can come forth from us (James 4:1-8).
4. If that carnal side wins, thankfully it is possible to be converted back to Christ (James 5:19-20).
C. GodŐs part in your conversion is in the forgiveness of sins (Colossians 1:12-14).
1. By GodŐs grace we can be forgiven for walking according to the flesh (Ephesians 2:1-5).
2. That same grace teaches us not to turn back to those sins (Titus 2:11-14).
3. Yet, He will forgive nothing if you wonŐt change (Luke 13:3).
III. Conclusion: DonŐt think that because youŐve been baptized that youŐre done, we all have work to keep doing (Philippians 2:12).
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager