A. God’s people of old were notorious for very brief faithfulness (Hosea 6:4; 11:7).
- At times, their faithfulness was only as long as they had leadership (Judges 2:18-19).
- At other times, it didn’t matter who led them; they had their hearts set on failure (Psalms 106:6-16).
- Some were never really there (I John 2:19).
- Some just aren’t rooted enough to avoid and/overcome temptation (Luke 8:13; cf. Romans 13:12-14).
II. Body: What About Us (Hebrews 10:35-39)?
A. Cast not away your confidence (I John 2:28).
- Think about the language of casting something away (i.e. Mark 10:50).
- Our confidence is what we are to hold on to until the end (Hebrews 3:1-6).
- Is your relationship with God, your brethren, and the hope of eternal life a garment to be tossed aside (I John 4:7-20, Jude 1:21, and I Timothy 6:11-12)?
- Would you toss away the efforts that have been made for us by Christ and others (I Corinthians 15:3 and II Timothy 2:8-10)?
- “What shall a man give in exchange for his soul” (Mark 8:31-38)?
- The fact is, nothing on this earth gives you a fair exchange rate for your soul; for all these things are temporary in pleasure and existence (Ecclesiastes 5:10-16 and I John 2:15-17).
- Think about it (Isaiah 51:6)!
- Endure through temptations (James 1:12).
- Let the things we face be your fuel to victory rather than your destruction (Psalms 119:67-71 and James 1:2-3).
- God asks, “why” (Ezekiel 33:10-11)?
- For the child of God, turning back offers nothing to gain (Romans 6:17-23 and I Timothy 6:6-10)!
III. Conclusion: Don’t be of those that draw back. Be the just that live by faith (Romans 1:16-17).
© 1999-2019 Brian A. Yeager