You Must Be More Than Just A Member Of The Church
By Brian A. Yeager
A. Being saved includes being added to the church (Acts 2:41-47).
1. That means you are a member of the general assembly, the body of all the saved and such even including angels (Hebrews 12:22-23).
2. When talking about the church/body of Christ (Ephesians 1:22-23) in the sense of the saved, there is only one (Ephesians 4:4-6).
B. The “churches of Christ” are in reference to the saved who come together locally in their communities throughout the world as local assemblies/churches/bodies because such is required of Christians (i.e. I Corinthians 1:2, I Thessalonians 1:1, and Revelation 1:4; 11).
1. The church (a.k.a. “the body” Colossians 1:18) is not a place (I Corinthians 12:27), but does assemble in a place (Colossians 4:15-16).
2. Being part of the church of Christ, without assembling regularly with local faithful Christians, is sinful (Hebrews 10:22-25).
3. That local congregation of Christians must be faithful for many reasons (I Corinthians 1:10, II Corinthians 6:14-18, Ephesians 5:11, II John 1:9-11, etc.).
II. Body: ALWAYS Abounding In The Work Of The Lord (I Corinthians 15:58).
A. There is a certain level of dependency we have on one another (Ephesians 4:16).
1. There are things we CANNOT do apart from the assembly (i.e. Matthew 18:17, Acts 20:7, etc.).
2. There are times wherein we NEED the aid of the whole body in spiritual things (I Thessalonians 5:11-14).
B. However, MOST of our time is spent being Christians individually out in the world (Philippians 2:14-16).
1. Therefore, our living isn’t just about the work and worship of the local church (Romans 13:8-14).
2. Most of all, our living faithfully is about how we conduct ourselves amongst the people of the world we are most often surrounded by (I Peter 2:11-12).
C. Many instructions of God include things outside of the assembly, whether amongst people of the world or not (Colossians 3:1-25).
1. These even include “acts of worship” we can do outside of the assembly (Acts 16:25 and I Timothy 2:8).
2. These include things addressed to the congregation (II Thessalonians 1:1), but applied individually (II Thessalonians 3:10).
III. Conclusion: Philippians 2:12
© 2017 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager