By: Brian A. Yeager
In preparing for a lesson several months ago, I studied the phrase “God is”. I ended up using very little that I gained from that study. However, I found it profitable to myself as an ever-learning student of the Scriptures. I want to present a very small sample of some of that study for your consideration. So, in a little different way of writing than I often use, here we go.
- “God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good” (Numbers 23:19)?
- “For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God” (Deuteronomy 4:24).
- “(For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them” (Deuteronomy 4:31).
- “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD” (Deuteronomy 6:4).
- “For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward” (Deuteronomy 10:17).
- “God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect” (II Samuel 22:33).
- “For if ye turn again unto the LORD, your brethren and your children shall find compassion before them that lead them captive, so that they shall come again into this land: for the LORD your God is gracious and merciful, and will not turn away his face from you, if ye return unto him” (II Chronicles 30:9).
- “Behold, in this thou art not just: I will answer thee, that God is greater than man” (Job 33:12).
- “Behold, God is mighty, and despiseth not any: he is mighty in strength and wisdom” (Job 36:5).
- “Behold, God is great, and we know him not, neither can the number of his years be searched out” (Job 36:26).
- “God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day” (Psalms 7:11).
- “There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous” (Psalms 14:5).
- “Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right scepter” (Psalms 45:6).
- “For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding” (Psalms 47:7).
- “And the heavens shall declare his righteousness: for God is judge himself” (Psalms 50:6).
- “Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing: for God is my defence, and the God of my mercy” (Psalms 59:17).
- “In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us” (Psalms 62:7-8).
- “He that is our God is the God of salvation; and unto GOD the Lord belong the issues from death” (Psalms 68:20).
- “Thy righteousness also, O God, is very high, who hast done great things: O God, who is like unto thee” (Psalms 71:19)!
- “My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever” (Psalms 73:26).
- “God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him” (Psalms 89:7).
- “Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at his holy hill; for the LORD our God is holy” (Psalms 99:9).
- “Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful” (Psalms 116:5).
- “God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies” (Nahum 1:2).
- “I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living” (Matthew 22:32).
- “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth” (John 4:24).
- “Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons” (Acts 10:34).
- “But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things” (Romans 2:2).
- “God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord” (I Corinthians 1:9).
- “For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints” (I Corinthians 14:33).
- “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” (Galatians 6:7).
- “For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister” (Hebrews 6:10).
- “This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all” (I John 1:5).
- “For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things” (I John 3:20).
- “And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him” (I John 4:16).
Is your mind turning as was mine when I studied the Scriptures above? Will you take the time to look at the Scriptures above and their contexts? We all know that there is much to learn about God that we could never fully find (Psalms 145:3, Isaiah 40:28, and Romans 11:33-36). However, will you at least take the time to search (John 5:39) and find what He has revealed about Himself in the Scriptures? There are many things that God is and is not. Since we are supposed to be like Him (Ephesians 5:1), it is greatly beneficial to know what He is and is not!
Volume 16 – Issue 14 - December 20th, 2015