Sermon Outline By Brian A. Yeager
Where Is Our Peace?
A. We know that all things of this world are temporary (Hebrews 1:10-12).
1. Our salvation is in a hope toward the unseen things above (Romans 8:24-25).
2. By looking onward, we keep ourselves from failure (Psalms 27:12-14 and Hebrews 12:1-3).
B. So, how do we find peace knowing that all that surrounds us is vanity (hint – John 14:27)?
1. Our peace is not in temporary things (II Corinthians 4:16-5:1).
2. There is the “Prince of Peace” we look to for our peace (Isaiah 9:6-7).
II. Body: John 16:17-33
A. We have peace from God (Colossians 3:15-16, Hebrews 13:20-21, and II John 3).
1. We must know that the peace true Christians have is a peace that is beyond worldly comprehension (Philippians 4:6-7).
2. We know we have peace because we are forgiven (Romans 5:1; cf. Romans 3:24-25, Colossians 1:12-14, I Peter 1:18-19, and I Peter 3:18).
a. The “we” are those who have obeyed the Gospel (Romans 10:17, John 8:23-24, Acts 3:19, Matthew 18:3, Acts 26:18-20, Romans 10:10, Acts 22:16, Romans 6:3-6, Acts 2:38-41, Mark 16:15-16, etc.).
b. The “we” are those who continue to obey the Gospel (John 8:31 and Colossians 1:23).
c. Thus, “we” do not carry the guilt of sin (Ezra 9:6) or the fear of the consequences of sin (Matthew 25:41).
3. We know we have peace because we have the real life we want in Christ (I John 2:25 and I John 5:11-13).
B. The world presents tribulation (John 15:19-21).
1. We have a lot to face before we enter into our reward (Acts 14:22).
2. No matter what we face because of this world, nothing can separate us from our source of peace (Romans 8:35-39).
3. Our comfort and peace also comes through the brethren God has supplied us with (II Corinthians 7:4-7).
4. Knowing what is to come we are able to endure, with joy and peace, all that we face (I Peter 4:12-19).
5. To God be the glory that we are delivered from this world (Galatians 1:3-4).
C. Christ overcame the world (Acts 2:24; cf. Romans 14:7-9).
1. In so doing, He makes intercession for us (Romans 8:34 and Hebrews 7:22-27).
2. His rising from the dead is the cornerstone of our hope for eternal life (Romans 6:8-9 and I Thessalonians 4:14).
III. Conclusion: Our peace comes not by worldly success or even failure, but by our focus on eternal things (Philippians 3:4-21).
© 2011 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager