When People Look At You What Do They See?
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. We are to abstain from all appearance of evil (I Thessalonians 5:22).
1. Therefore, we can certainly conclude that how things appear do certainly matter (II Corinthians 8:21).
2. We must understand that how others see us can affect the work of the Lord (II Corinthians 6:3).
B. Timothy, an evangelist, was told to meditate upon rightful things so that his profiting, advancement would appear to all (I Timothy 4:12-16).
1. What do people witness in you (I Thessalonians 2:10)?
2. If someone wanted to say something bad about you, would your conduct say otherwise (I Peter 2:9-12)?
II. Body: In All Things Shew Thyself A Pattern (Titus 2:7-8).
A. At first glance, what does your appearance say to others (Proverbs 7:10)?
1. The way we dress and carry ourselves says something (Isaiah 3:16-26).
a. Modest [of good behavior] (I Timothy 2:8-10)?
b. Understand that your clothing can cause certain sinful behaviors in others even beyond sexual things (James 2:1-3).
2. Covering your nudity has a certain pattern; at least in length of pants, that God has defined when talking about priestly garments of old (Exodus 28:42).
3. Balance here though, for you cannot just consider how you look outwardly (Proverbs 11:22 and Matthew 23:1-5, and Matthew 23:27-28).
B. Do people see the uncorrupt truth in you (II John 1:4)?
1. Do you shew that you’re not corrupt (Ephesians 5:8 and Hebrews 12:14)?
2. Do you shew gravity [honor; honesty] (Romans 12:17)?
3. When people look at you, do they see Christ (I John 2:3-6)?
C. Do people hear speech in you that cannot be condemned (Ephesians 4:29 and Colossians 3:8-9)?
1. People will unfairly judge you looking to condemn you (Mark 12:12-13).
2. Don’t say something that will allow others to condemn you, think before you speak (Proverbs 15:28 and Proverbs 29:20)?
3. Even though something may be lawful for you to say (i.e. “bastard” Hebrews 12:8), you must also consider the expediency of such amongst those whom understand not (Psalms 39:1; cf. I Corinthians 8:8-13)?
4. Do people hear wisdom from above in your words (James 3:13-18)?
III. Conclusion: Let Them See Conduct That Is Right In You (Philippians 1:27 and II Peter 3:11).
© 2016 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager