What Is Different About The Church of Christ?
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Jesus promised to build His church (Matthew 16:13-18).
1. The church was part of GodŐs plan from the beginning (Ephesians 3:1-12).
2. The church is essential to the plan of redemption (Acts 2:47).
3. Jesus died, IN PART, to establish His church (Ephesians 5:25).
B. The church is the spiritual body of Christ (Colossians 1:12-24).
1. The church is the people, not a building (I Corinthians 12:27).
2. There is only one church/body/assembly of Christ (Ephesians 4:4-6, Colossians 1:18, and Colossians 3:15).
II. Body: The church of Christ is distinctive in many ways (i.e. Ephesians 5:23)É
A. ÉIn name (Romans 16:16).
1. There is something in a name (Acts 4:10-12).
2. Could anyone rationally think they could be saved in any other personŐs church (John 14:6)?
3. We canŐt wear other names (I Corinthians 1:10-13).
B. ÉIn purpose (I Timothy 3:15).
1. We, the church of Christ, have only one creed (I Corinthians 4:17, Colossians 3:17, and II Timothy 3:15-17).
2. We take that creed [the truth] and spread it (I Thessalonians 1:7-8).
3. The church of Christ does not engage in carnal business (John 2:13-17) or entertainment (Romans 14:17).
4. The church of Christ has her purpose in spiritual work (Ephesians 4:15-16).
C. ÉIn whom we glorify (Ephesians 3:21).
1. The denominational world assembles to the satisfaction of people (Matthew 15:7-9; cf. Galatians 1:10).
2. Rather than choosing our way of worship (Colossians 2:18-23), we worship God His way (John 4:23-24).
a. People may like bands, choirs, pianos, etc.; but the New Testament shows God just wants us to sing together (Matthew 26:30, I Corinthians 14:15, Ephesians 5:19, and Colossians 3:16).
b. Our prayers are to GodŐs will, not manŐs will (I John 5:14-15).
c. Sermons are not fluff and stupid stuff or professional babble, but intended to save souls (I Corinthians 2:1-5 and II Timothy 4:2).
III. Conclusion: The church of Christ is the ONLY church that can truthfully make the Scriptural claims in this lesson! The church of our Savior is the only body of believers whose names are written in Heaven (Hebrews 12:22-23). ThatŐs DIFFERENT!
© 2012 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager