We Cannot Be More Or Less Forgiving Than God
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. The Scriptures teach us to follow GodŐs example (Ephesians 5:1 and I Peter 2:21).
1. This includes having the same mindset as our Lord (Philippians 2:5), which we have through the Scriptures (I Corinthians 2:9-16)
2. Thus, weŐre expected to even act as our Lord (I John 2:6).
B. Our God is a forgiving God (Psalms 86:5).
1. He is willing to be forgiving even of those who donŐt Ňdeserve itÓ (Nehemiah 9:16-17, Isaiah 55:7, and Daniel 9:9).
2. Why is God so forgiving? --- Micah 7:18 and I Timothy 2:3-4.
II. Body: Forgive As God Forgave You (Ephesians 4:31-32 and Colossians 3:12-13).
A. GodŐs forgiveness is CONDITIONAL (Psalms 32:5 and I John 1:9).
1. God doesnŐt forgive when there is not repentance (Proverbs 28:13, Luke 13:3; 5, Acts 2:38, Acts 3:19, and II Peter 3:9).
2. The condition of repentance is more than words (Ezekiel 14:6, Ezekiel 18:30, Jonah 3:10, Luke 3:8, and II Corinthians 7:8-10).
3. Some people take GodŐs forgiveness as a given, wherein we should be cautious with those thoughts (Acts 8:20-24, Hebrews 10:26-31, and I Peter 4:17-19).
B. God demands that our forgiveness be CONDITIONAL (Luke 17:3-4).
1. We cannot forgive brethren when they are willingly in sin (Matthew 18:15-17, I Corinthians 5:1-7; 11, and II Thessalonians 3:6).
2. When your or I start thinking that we can decide when someoneŐs sins are forgivable we have missed our place in life (Romans 9:15-24)!
3. As with all things we do (Colossians 3:17), we must be sure that God has also forgiven those whom we forgive of sins. For, we are not the authors of forgiveness (Romans 4:7-8).
C. Scriptures get twistedÉ
1. Matthew 18:21-35; ignoring Matthew 18:15-17 [which is in the same context].
2. Luke 23:34; ignoring that those people had to repent to be forgiven (Acts 2:36-41 and Acts 26:18-20).
III. Conclusion: LetŐs be merciful, but keep that mercy in line with GodŐs (Luke 6:36).
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager