Another Sermon Outline By Brian A. Yeager
The Not So Obvious “Undercover Brother”
A. We’ve seen many convincing fake Christians here at Sunrise (Jude 4).
1. Pat Kastrin couldn’t answer her door for visits because she was inside puffing away. Lessons were taught against smoking (Romans 13:14 and I Peter 2:11). Didn’t know she smoked until deathbed time…
2. Herman Starkey taught classes on attendance and unity, but forsook and tried to divide the assembly (II Timothy 3:1-9). Didn’t find out until Bob exposed him!
3. Kim Wright turned to adultery, smoking, drinking, lying, etc. These things are all wrong (I Corinthians 6:9-10). Didn’t find out until marriage was basically over.
4. Things have certainly happened in secret here (cf. Jeremiah 23:24).
B. The three above, as there could be some here even today, still showed up for services (Matthew 15:8).
1. Some come, looking the part, with a motive (Luke 20:19-20).
2. Others come working to deceive themselves (James 1:26).
3. The question for us all – “why am I here today” (Ephesians 6:24)?
II. Body: There have been times when hypocrisy has been rampant among God’s people (Isaiah 9:13-17).
A. We have to do more than just wear the right name (Isaiah 48:1 and II Timothy 2:19).
1. I/you are Christians when I/you behave as Christians (John 8:31-32, II Corinthians 6:14-7:1, I Timothy 4:16, and I Peter 1:13-16).
2. We are the church of Christ, when we behave as the church of Christ (Ephesians 5:25-27).
B. We have to do more than just profess we do the right things (Titus 1:16).
1. We have to walk the walk (Psalms 119:1-4, Ephesians 5:15-17, I John 1:6-7, and I John 2:1-6).
2. We have to have our actions speaking louder than our words (Luke 6:43-45 and John 10:37-38).
C. We have to really live the part, all of us, all of the time (Galatians 4:18).
1. Being a Christian is not a part-time work (I Corinthians 15:58).
2. If one of us is failing, the call for help needs to be made (James 5:16).
3. When the call for help is sounded, we must respond (I Thessalonians 5:14).
III. Conclusion: What shall the end of the not so obvious “undercover brother” be? Weeping and gnashing of teeth in Hell: Matthew 24:46-51.
A. If this congregation is full of hypocrites, we’ll fall (Job 15:34).
B. Let’s be real and stay real (Luke 8:15).
© 2010 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager