“This People Draw Near Me With Their Mouth…”
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. It is not uncommon to find a people that are in sin, but appear to be doing what is right (Isaiah 58:1-2).
1. For some, they think they’re the teacher when they really aren’t even students (Romans 2:17-23).
2. Some will go to the Judgment with this false confidence (Matthew 7:21-23).
3. Remember, there are few among the many (Matthew 22:14) and the many are already few (Matthew 9:37).
B. We are charged to always examine ourselves (II Corinthians 13:5).
1. We have to think on our ways and make corrections if need be (Psalms 119:59).
2. We cannot approach studies like this one as though it applies to someone else (cf. II Samuel 12:1-12).
II. Body: Isaiah 29:13.
A. They call themselves His people, yet… (Isaiah 48:1-8).
1. Pretenders (Luke 6:46 and Luke 20:45-47).
2. There are people who speak God’s word that in reality hate it (Psalms 50:16-20).
3. Those who call God their Father, but won’t listen to the truth (John 8:40-44).
4. Are any of us at a point wherein we won’t receive correction (Proverbs 15:10 and Jeremiah 7:28)?
B. Cometh as His people, hearing the word, but won’t do it (Ezekiel 33:30-33).
1. Some talk against the messenger (II Chronicles 36:16, II Corinthians 10:10, and Galatians 4:16).
2. Some sit a listen, but will not do (Jeremiah 6:16-17).
a. There is no blessing in hearing without doing (James 1:19-25).
b. You are only part of the family of God through action (Matthew 12:46-50).
3. Amazingly, sometimes the disobedient are more than willing to HEAR [as entertainment; a song] (Mark 6:17-28), but just for a season (John 5:33-35).
C. Roots, growth, and fruit; but far from the heart proving that actions don’t always speak the truth (Jeremiah 12:1-2).
1. The heart doesn’t always line up with the words (Deuteronomy 5:23-29 and Mark 12:12-14).
2. Some people actually look the part well and some day you get surprised (Philemon 23-24; cf. II Timothy 4:10).
III. Conclusion: Is this you, I, us (Matthew 15:1-14)?
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager