Think On These Things
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. When Peter erred, it happened because he “savourest” [to exercise mind, think] not the things that be of God (Matthew 16:21-23 and Mark 8:31-33).
1. Minding earthly things brings destruction (Philippians 3:17-19).
2. Minding the things of the flesh gets us off the path (Romans 8:5).
B. When you’re spiritually minded, peace is attainable (Romans 8:6).
1. As discussed last week, the world brings chaos. You don’t have to let the world rule in you though (Colossians 3:15-16).
2. God gives us peace “by all means” (II Thessalonians 3:16).
3. Therefore, realize that our peace comes through Christ (Acts 10:36), so think on the things He tells us will bring peace…
II. Body: Philippians 4:6-8
A. Don’t be careful [anxious] for anything (Matthew 6:24-34, John 14:1, and I Peter 5:6-7).
1. Talk to God through prayer (Luke 18:1, Colossians 4:2, and I Thessalonians 5:17).
2. Be thankful (I Thessalonians 5:18 and Hebrews 13:15).
B. The peace of God will keep your mind (Isaiah 26:3-4).
1. You won’t understand it if you ignore the truth (John 8:43).
2. You won’t understand it with carnal reasoning (Proverbs 3:1-7).
3. Peace is a spiritual fruit (Galatians 5:22-23).
C. Think on these things…
1. Things that are true (Psalms 19:9, Psalms 119:160, II Corinthians 1:18, Philippians 4:3, and I John 5:20).
2. Things that are honest [venerable; honorable; grave], like to that of a deacon, his wife, and older faithful men (I Timothy 3:8; 11 and Titus 2:2).
3. Things that are just (Isaiah 26:5, Hebrews 10:38, and I Peter 3:18; cf. Proverbs 18:17 and John 5:30).
4. Things that are pure (I Timothy 5:22, James 3:17, and I John 3:1-3).
5. Things that are lovely [acceptable; pleasing] (Proverbs 21:3, Ecclesiastes 12:10, and Ephesians 5:10).
6. Things that are of a good report [reputable] (Proverbs 22:1 and III John 12).
7. Virtuous things (Proverbs 31:10 and II Peter 1:3-10).
8. Things worthy of praise (Psalms 113:3, Proverbs 31:30, Acts 16:25, and I Peter 2:9).
III. Conclusion: Submit your thinking to those things the Lord tells us to think upon (II Corinthians 10:5 and I Peter 1:13).
© 2014 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager