Another Sermon Outline By Brian A. Yeager
The Weapons Of Our Warfare Are Not Carnal
A. We have enemies because we stand for the truth (John 15:18-21).
1. Because the disciples, through the Spirit, had a tongue of wisdom they’d were hated (Luke 21:12-17).
2. We’ll often get torn when we try to rescue the lost (Matthew 7:6 and Galatians 4:16).
B. We must remember to always “live above the pigs” and not get into the mud to battle with them (Romans 12:17-21).
1. We cannot “lose it” when attacked (Proverbs 14:29, I Corinthians 9:25, and II Peter 1:5-10).
2. We always need to weigh if we are doing something for the sake of saving a soul (II Corinthians 12:19), defending truth (Jude 3), or for the sake of “getting even” (Hebrews 10:30).
II. Body: II Corinthians 10:3-5
A. We are not of strife [a desire to put one's self forward, a partisan and fractious spirit which does not disdain low arts; partisanship, fractiousness, contentious] (Galatians 5:19-21, Philippians 2:3, and James 3:14-18).
1. We don’t get into stupid arguments (II Timothy 2:23 and Titus 3:9-10).
2. Yes, we’ll stand up for the truth (Proverbs 28:4 and Philippians 1:17), but we won’t be contentious (Proverbs 26:21).
3. Those that seek to sow discord/strife among brethren simply do not “get it” (Proverbs 6:12-19; cf. I Corinthians 3:1-3).
B. We are not slanderers [making a false statement to damage someone’s reputation] (Proverbs 10:18 and Romans 3:8).
1. Sometimes we are surrounded by such activity (Jeremiah 9:3-6).
2. However, we are a people of honesty (Romans 13:13-14).
3. We realize that someone’s reputation is valuable (Proverbs 22:1 and Ecclesiastes 7:1), so we’re careful about what we say about others!
C. We will not sow division (John 9:16).
1. The Lord desires unity among His people (Psalms 133:1, John 17:20-23, and I Corinthians 1:10).
2. We will be the people who demand a walking of God’s line to promote true unity (Philippians 3:16).
3.When it comes to this local congregation, we will act as the spiritual family we are (Ephesians 3:15; cf. Matthew 12:46-50).
a. We will not act in secret as though we have something to hide (Luke 11:33-36 and John 18:20).
b. We will work together, which is what unity is (Philippians 1:27).
D. We will not believe false reports (Proverbs 18:13).
1. We have to seek proof of what we “hear” (Deuteronomy 13:12-15 and John 7:24; 51).
2. We realize that false individuals will give false reports (Proverbs 14:5), so we test the one giving the report too (I John 4:1).
3. Not everyone has just motives in giving a report even if we “want to believe it” (Jeremiah 5:26).
E. We will not turn to physical violence (Psalms 11:5 and Titus 3:1-2).
1. What kingdom are we part of if we “fight” (John 18:36)?
2. Those of us with “tempers” would do well to always remove ourselves from situations when the bear might come out of the cave [so to speak] (Matthew 26:41; cf. Proverbs 4:14-18).
F. We will HONESTLY use spiritual weaponry in our spiritual warfare (Ephesians 6:10-18).
1. Our fight is the fight of faith (I Timothy 6:12).
2. Our goal is to save ourselves (I Timothy 4:16), help save the lost of this world (Psalms 51:13), restore those that fall (James 5:19-20), and to protect the saved (Acts 20:28-31).
III. Conclusion: Let’s war and good warfare (I Timothy 1:18).
© 2009 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager