The Way God Provides Has Changed
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Consider that, God has told us things have changed in how He works (Hebrews 1:1-2).
1. It was primarily prophets (Numbers 12:6).
2. Now, it is through Christ (Matthew 28:18-20).
B. Even God speaking through Christ has changed in ways (John 16:7-8 and John 16:13-15).
1. The Spirit was given directly to the Apostles (Acts 1:5-8; 2:1-4).
2. Then the Spirit was given through the Apostles to men (Acts 8:12-24 and Acts 19:1-7).
3. Now the Spirit works only through the word (John 6:63)…
a. H.S. Baptism ceased (Ephesians 4:5).
b. No more Apostles today (Acts 1:14-26 and I Corinthians 15:8-9).
II. Body: Understand The Backdrop Of The Miraculous And The Cessation Of Such (I Corinthians 13:8-13).
A. When reading through the New Testament you must understand that 1st century Christians had DIRECT guidance from the Holy Spirit (John 14:26 and Acts 16:1-10).
1. This meant things were different then than now (i.e. I John 2:27).
2. Now, we have the completed worded (II Timothy 3:16-17) that gives us all we need (II Peter 1:3-4).
3. So, ask yourself, why would you pray for something God has already provided?
a. Knowledge & understanding were prayed for (Colossians 1:9-10) – now you have the means to have it (Ephesians 3:4).
b. People pray for faith, but you have the means to have it (Romans 10:17).
c. If God revealed something to you, beyond the Scriptures, what would that mean???
B. When they (1st century Christians) prayed for healing (James 5:14; cf. Mark 6:13), that meant…
1. The Spirit DIRECTLY healed them (I Corinthians 12:9).
2. Now, we do have things God provides for healing (Ezekiel 47:12 and Colossians 4:14), but they are not through prayer or other miraculous, direct actions of God.
a. There was NO going to the doctor then (John 4:46-53).
b. It was IMMEDIATE healing (Matthew 9:20-22).
c. It is a copout to say, “God works in mysterious ways” to argue for healing today. FALSE! He wanted credit/glory (Mark 2:1-12).
C. When they (1st century Christians) prayed for wisdom (James 1:5), that meant…
1. The Spirit DIRECTLY gave it to them (I Corinthians 12:7-8).
2. The source of wisdom is and was the same (Proverbs 2:6-7).
a. Then directly (Luke 21:15).
b. Now through the word (Colossians 3:16).
D. God’s providence and the tie to such in prayer, in the 1st century, was clearly SUPERNATURAL (Matthew 21:18-22).
1. Thus, when we read about prayers in the New Testament, you MUST keep in mind the working of miracles in the 1st century.
2. If you redefine those Scriptures to fit today you have twisted the word of God to what (II Peter 3:15-17)?
III. Conclusion: God Hasn’t Forsaken Us (Hebrews 13:5-6) and Is Still Active (Acts 14:17 and Hebrews 6:7), But Not Through Direct Means With Men Today. More on these things next week…
© 2014 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager