The Right Attitude For Perfect People
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Two weeks ago we had a lesson wherein, in part, we discussed Christians being perfect (http://www.wordsoftruth.net/areaswhereinpeopleicallgodaliar_bay_122014.htm).
1. We are commanded to be perfect (Matthew 5:48 and II Corinthians 13:11).
2. The word of God enables us to be perfect (II Timothy 3:16-17).
B. Having said that, we cannot get an mindset that we have accomplished perfection on our own, without God, by our own works (Ephesians 2:1-10).
1. It took the blood of Christ to make us perfect (Revelation 1:5).
2. After many other “steps” we [Christians] were immersed to become sinless; whole; perfect (Acts 2:38 and Acts 22:16).
3. “If we sin”, after initial obedience to the Gospel, we still need Christ to become perfect again (I John 2:1-2).
II. Body: Perfection includes having the right mindset about who we are (Luke 17:7-10; cf. I Corinthians 15:8-10).
A. To be perfect, we cannot act like we’ve always been perfect (I John 1:5-10).
1. If you were immersed for the remission of your sins, that means you WERE a sinner (I Corinthians 6:9-11 and Titus 3:3).
2. Furthermore, don’t act like you changed all on your own (Proverbs 20:9).
a. The word of God converted you (Psalms 19:7).
b. Jesus saved you (John 1:29).
c. Other people helped you along the way (II Corinthians 4:1-7).
B. Perfection demands we remain humble (Colossians 3:12).
1. Walking with the right frame of mind (Ephesians 4:1-2).
2. Understanding that we cannot be honorable in the sight of God without humility (Proverbs 15:33).
3. Being proud will result in damnation rather than salvation (Proverbs 16:5, Proverbs 21:4 [cf. Romans 6:23], and James 4:6-10).
4. Thus, be humble as such a mindset precedes salvation (II Chronicles 7:14 and I Peter 5:5-6).
C. Perfection is not obtained nor maintained through self-righteousness (Philippians 3:3-16).
1. Don’t have the “I am awesome” mentality (Luke 18:9-14 and James 4:16).
2. What do we know (Romans 11:33-36) and who are we anyway (Job 22:2-3)?
III. Conclusion: Philippians 2:3-12
© 2014 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager