The Power Is Not In The Water
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. So often people focus on one aspect of the Scriptures and miss the rest (Matthew 23:23-24).
1. What happens when we think something is more important to God than He does (Hosea 6:4-7)?
2. How much of GodŐs law is important (James 2:8-12)?
B. Many in the body of Christ overemphasize baptism thinking this is the most important thing in the N.T. ItŐs not (Acts 17:1-3; cf. I Corinthians 15:12-19).
1. Yes, baptism is necessary in order for the lost to be saved (I Peter 3:20-21).
2. Yes, baptism puts one into Christ (Galatians 3:26-27) and salvation is in Christ (II Timothy 2:10).
3. Yes, baptism is necessary to destroy sin (Romans 6:3-6).
4. It is WRONG to emphasize baptism in water as though the water is the most important element of our salvation (Hebrews 9:28).
II. Body: Is Water The Point Of Emphasis In The Bible (II Kings 5:1-14)?
A. Naaman had to learn that the key to his cleansing was not water, but obedience to God (I Samuel 15:22-23).
1. For who is Jesus the source of salvation (Hebrews 5:8-9)?
2. Is immersion in water the whole duty of man (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14)?
B. IsnŐt the power of salvation in obedience to all the will of God starting with the hearing and believing of the Gospel (Romans 1:15-18)?
1. Is it water that leads to obedience or faith that comes through learning (Romans 10:9-17)?
2. What do you have to not obey to cause God to take vengeance on you (II Thessalonians 1:7-9)?
a. Yes, the Gospel includes baptism (Mark 16:15-16).
b. However, the Gospel is about Christ first and water as a response, not the reverse (Acts 8:12 and Acts 18:8).
C. Should we be emphasizing water or emphasizing salvation through our Lord (John 14:6 and Acts 4:10-12)?
1. I am NOT saying not to teach baptism. Preaching Christ most CERTAINLY includes baptism (Acts 8:26-39).
2. What the word of God is saying, and I am preaching, is that the water is not the point of emphasis we should be making (Acts 5:42, I Corinthians 1:10-18, and Colossians 1:23-28).
3. What is the real power of our washing (I Peter 1:18-19, I John 1:7, and Revelation 1:5)?
III. Conclusion: Did God send water into the world for men to be saved (I John 4:14)?
© 2016 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager