Sermon Outline By Brian A. Yeager
The New Man
A. Being converted is required for salvation (Matthew 18:3 and Acts 3:19).
1. There are those that hear the Gospel, but are never converted to Christ (Matthew 13:15).
2. On the other hand, there are those who allow the word of God to bring about conversion (I Peter 1:22-23).
B. Of those converted, some fall away (Luke 8:13).
1. Of those who fall away, some allow themselves to be restored (James 5:19-20)
2. Then, there are those who cannot be restored (Hebrews 6:4-6).
C. The motivation of our lesson is this… Some who seem to be converted really never are (I John 2:18-19).
1. Thus, how can you examine yourself and be sure you’ve really been converted (II Corinthians 13:5)?
2. We’re not asking who has been baptized, but if true conversion has taken place in each of our lives (Ephesians 5:8).
II. Body: Defining The New Man (Colossians 3:1-17).
A. A change in dedication and focus (Colossians 3:1-2).
1. Seeking things above (Proverbs 15:24, Matthew 6:33, and Philippians 3:20).
2. Our affections are not on earthly things (I John 2:15-17 and I John 5:4-5).
B. Putting to death the carnality, which causes men to be lost (Colossians 3:3-7).
1. The person you used to be is dead (Romans 6:6, Romans 8:13, and Galatians 5:24).
2. You now live Christ, not yourself (Matthew 16:24-26).
3. Living life to fulfill our own lusts is over (I Peter 1:14 and I Peter 4:1-3).
4. The wrath of God comes upon those who walk in carnality (Ephesians 5:3-6).
C. Put off sinful behavior (Colossians 3:8-9).
1. Carnal anger (Ephesians 4:26) for there is a righteous anger (Jeremiah 15:17).
2. Wrath needs cease in our lives (James 1:19-20).
3. Malice [naughtiness] has no place in Christians (I Peter 2:1-2).
4. Blasphemy should never be practiced which was a capital punishment crime in O.T. (Leviticus 24:16).
5. Filthy communication should cease (Ephesians 4:29).
a. Speaking as the oracles of God prevents this anyway (I Peter 4:11).
b. Be cautious, some people call things filthy communication which is not filthy communication (KJV – II Kings 18:27, Proverbs 23:27, Jeremiah 2:24, Jeremiah 3:8, Galatians 3:1, Hebrews 12:8, etc.).
6. Never tell lies (Isaiah 63:8 and John 8:44).
D. Put on the new man, created in the image of Christ (Colossians 3:10-11).
1. Renewed in knowledge (II Peter 1:3-10).
2. The new man is not based in one’s race or heritage (Galatians 3:26-29).
E. The new man embraces spiritual fruit (Colossians 3:12-14; cf. Galatians 5:22-23).
1. The new man is holy (I Peter 1:13-16).
2. The new man is merciful and kind (Matthew 5:7 and Ephesians 4:32).
3. The new man has a humble mind (James 4:6-10).
4. The new man is meek (Titus 3:1-2). Some have interesting definitions of “meek”, thus…
a. Knowing that Jesus is meek (II Corinthians 10:1).
b. That doesn’t mean He spoke softly or compromised (Matthew 23:1-33).
5. The new man is longsuffering (Ephesians 4:1-2), but not compromising (Galatians 2:1-5 and Jude 3-4).
6. The new man is forbearing, forgiving as Christ forgives (Luke 17:3-4).
F. The new man has peace, grace, and the word of God in his or her heart (Colossians 3:15-16).
1. Peace in the heart (Philippians 4:7).
2. Grace in the heart (Hebrews 13:9).
3. The word in the heart (Proverbs 23:12).
G. The new man speaks and acts based solely on the authority of the Lord (Colossians 3:17).
1. Before the new man does or says something, they seek God’s permission first (Romans 14:23, II Timothy 1:13, and I John 2:3-6).
2. If someone claims to be converted, yet they act without authority, they are not truly converted (Isaiah 8:20).
III. Conclusion: The new man has ceased acting like his or her old self (II Corinthians 5:17).
© 2011 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager