Sermon Outline By Brian A. Yeager
The Mindset Of A Servant
I. Introduction: Our mindset matters (I Chronicles 28:9).
A. We have to accept and set our minds on being servants of God (Romans 6:22 and Colossians 4:12).
1. As GodŐs people, we serve Him with all of our being (Joshua 22:5, John 12:25-26, and Hebrews 12:28-29).
2. As servants of the Lord, we are certainly expected to be obedient (Deuteronomy 13:4, II Corinthians 5:14-15, and I John 5:2-3).
B. We also have to accept and set our minds on being servants towards our fellow man (I Corinthians 9:19-23 and Galatians 5:13).
1. Serving all men, but especially our brethren (Galatians 6:10).
2. While we are to serve and help others, we are not to become men-pleasers (Galatians 1:10).
II. Body: Think about what kind of servants we should be by looking at great servants in the Scriptures (James 5:10, I Peter 2:21-22, and I Corinthians 11:1).
A. Moses was servant (Malachi 4:4 and Hebrews 3:5).
1. As a servant for God, Moses was willing (for the most part) to do whatever God said (Exodus 7:6 and Numbers 17:11).
2. As a servant to man, Moses was willing to suffer that others may benefit (Exodus 32:30-35).
3. Moses did not just suffer for others to get to the Promised Land either (Deuteronomy 3:18-28).
B. Jesus was a servant (Luke 22:27 and Philippians 2:4-11).
1. As a servant to the Father, Jesus was willing to do whatever God the Father said (John 6:38 and Hebrews 5:8-9).
2. As a servant to man (Matthew 20:20-28), Jesus was willing to suffer greatly for our salvation (Matthew 16:21, Hebrews 2:8-9, and Hebrews 13:12).
3. We had gains from His death, but He did not (Galatians 1:4).
4. Jesus gave much (II Corinthians 8:9).
C. Paul was a servant (Romans 1:9 and Philippians 1:1).
1. As a servant for God, Paul was obedient (Acts 26:13-20).
2. As a servant to man, Paul was willing to suffer so that others may gain (Romans 9:1-3).
3. Paul served others as a giver not a taker (Acts 20:28-35).
4. Most often, he received abuse for trying to help (II Corinthians 12:14-15 and Galatians 4:16).
III. Conclusion: Is your mind on being a humble servant (Acts 20:19)? Will you be found serving when Christ returns (Matthew 24:45-51)?
© 2011 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager