Words Of Truth
"That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth..." (Proverbs 22:21).
The Language Of Those Who Believe Unity In Diversity
Outline by Brian A. Yeager
A. False brethren are not obvious (Matthew 7:15-20).
1. They know how to talk the talk (Isaiah 29:13).
2. They show up and even will listen (Ezekiel 33:30-33).
B. Think about the word “crept” (Jude 1:3-4).
1. There were those who “crept in unawares”, meaning they were already there (Acts 20:28-31).
2. When they creep in unawares and are found, they must be stopped (Galatians 2:1-5).
C. There are MANY in churches of Christ who seek to displace the will of God regarding unity. They profess that we can agree to disagree, which is a false concept entirely (Amos 3:3).
II. Body: We Need To Be Aware (Colossians 2:6-23).
A. Consider the “buzzwords” and phrases to be aware of...
1. “I agree with most of what is taught here, but there are some things I don’t...” (false concept: I Corinthians 1:10).
2. “The issue of ____________ is a Romans 14 issue...” (false concept, the issues of Romans 14 are clearly stated in the context: Romans 14:1-15:9).
3. “We don’t agree so we can just let the Lord sort this out...” (false concept as we have to withdraw from those walking differently: II Thessalonians 3:6).
4. “Faithful brethren teach that we can pray to Jesus from Acts 7:59-60… Not that I agree with it...” (false concept as faithful brethren do not teach any error. We are to pray to the Father through Christ: Ephesians 5:20. We cannot have fellowship with anyone teaching anything but the whole truth as revealed in the teachings of Christ [the N.T.] I Timothy 6:3-5 and II John 1:9-11. Also, faithful brethren are those who do what is instructed by the Lord rather than just what “we” call them: Matthew 12:46-50).
5. “As far as knowing, proving and holding on to what is right and all things good -- you should absolutely do that for yourself -- the difference is in what you require from others...” (false concept as we are ALL told to test and hold to the truth not allowing anything else to be taught: I Thessalonians 5:21 and I Timothy 1:3-7).
6. “My point is that there are different interpretations of scripture that lead to totally different conclusions as far as several things labeled ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ -- not so much in how we worship or what we need to ‘do’ to be added to the Church -- but how we live our everyday lives is a different story...” (false concept as individuals Christians are to please the Lord and act with His authority in WHATSOEVER we do: Colossians 3:17 and I Thessalonians 4:1).
7. “If it’s not a salvation issue it’s not a test of fellowship.” (false concept for fellowship is not determined by what man thinks is an issue: I John 1:3-7 and Ephesians 5:11. Also, who defines a “salvation issue”. Again, II John 1:9, makes all issues “salvation issues”).
8. “I don’t think you are wrong for believing that as long as you don’t bind it on others...” (false concept: Revelation 2:14-16).
B. It is the will of the Lord that we be unified [one] (John 17:20-23).
1. That means we are to think, believe, speak, teach, and practice the same things in all churches of Christ (I Corinthians 4:17, II Corinthians 13:11, and Philippians 2:2).
2. Unity takes work (Ephesians 4:1-6).
C. We arrive at true unity by walking according to the same rule (Philippians 3:16).
1. Our thinking needs to be left out of biblical study and discussions (Proverbs 3:5-7, Proverbs 16:25, Jeremiah 10:23, and Romans 12:1-3).
2. When our conduct comes down to the word of God alone, we will be unified (Philippians 1:27).
III. Conclusion: Be Ready To Stop Their Mouths (Titus 1:10-14)!
Class and Sermon Outline Index
© 2016 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager