Words Of Truth
"That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth..." (Proverbs 22:21).
The Gravity Of Sinning Against A Fellow Saint
Outline by Brian A. Yeager
A. Recent events (Mallory Rodriquez [Terry] situation), has brought to light that sometimes so-called “Christians” do not realize the necessity of a good relationship with faithful brethren (I John 4:7-21).
1. We are taught of God to love one another (I Thessalonians 4:9).
2. That love is to be patterned after Jesus’ love (John 15:12).
B. God expects good relations between His children (I Peter 3:8-9).
1. Giving no offense, even in matters of liberties (Romans 14:21).
2. Working hard to be unified (Ephesians 4:1-3).
II. Body: I Thessalonians 4:6-9
A. If sin is committed against a fellow Christian, he or she is your first stop on the road to repentance (Matthew 5:23-24).
1. You must make this right to be forgiven (Luke 17:1-4).
2. Don’t expect the faithful to just forget about it over time (III John 1:9-11).
3. Recognize the relationship between the Father, Jesus, and faithful Christians (Mark 3:31-35, Galatians 3:26-27, Galatians 4:7, Hebrews 2:9-12, and I John 3:1-2).
4. Now what will our Father do to those whom mistreat His children (Romans 12:17-21)?
B. If you sin against a fellow saint you sin against the Lord (I Corinthians 8:1-13).
1. Consider… Matthew 25:31-46
2. Consider… Acts 9:1-5
3. Now consider… Hebrews 10:26-31
C. If you’re the brother or sister sinned against you, don’t be carnally vengeful (I Thessalonians 5:15).
1. You can go to God on behalf of your brother or sister in Christ (II Timothy 4:14-16).
2. This does not mean we can ignore or unconditionally forgive a brother or sister that transgresses against us (Matthew 18:15-17).
3. Thus, though God will deal with them, you do not have to wish that upon them (Acts 7:51-60; cf. Matthew 5:7).
III. Conclusion: I John 3:14-15
Class and Sermon Outline Index
© 2017 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager