Another Sermon Outline By Brian A. Yeager
The Gates Of Hades Could Not Prevail Against It!
A. The eternal purpose of God was/is made known by the church (Ephesians 3:1-11).
1. GodŐs eternal purpose is to save mankind (II Timothy 1:8-10).
2. As the mystery began to be revealed, you can see GodŐs plan of salvation very much includes the church (Acts 2:41; 47).
B. If anything, such as Hades, could prevail against the church that would mean salvation is blocked off (Ephesians 5:23).
1. Many attempts were made to bring GodŐs plan to death before the time (John 7:30 and John 8:20; cf. Luke 22:50-53).
2. GodŐs plan could not be subdued (Acts 19:18-20 and Titus 1:1-3).
3. GodŐs plan, including the church, wasnŐt understood (I Corinthians 2:6-8) and even now is misunderstood for similar reasons as it always has been (II Corinthians 3:12-16).
II. Body: Matthew 16:13-23
A. Jesus is the builder of the church (Hebrews 3:1-6).
1. Jesus only built one church/body (Romans 12:4-5, I Corinthians 10:17, I Corinthians 12:12, Ephesians 4:4-6, and Colossians 3:15).
2. That one church is clearly identified by His name (Romans 16:16; cf. Acts 4:10-12) and works (i.e. I Timothy 3:15).
B. It is His church (Colossians 1:24).
1. He is the head of His body, the church (Colossians 1:13-18 and Ephesians 1:20-23).
2. That means He has all of the authority over His church (Ephesians 5:24).
3. Jesus paid for the church (Ephesians 5:25 and Acts 20:28).
C. Hades could not prevent Jesus from establishing His church (Acts 2:22-36 and Revelation 1:18).
1. Death could not keep Jesus from doing His work (Romans 6:9-10 and Hebrews 7:22-26).
2. Jesus had to die, when it was time, for His purpose to be fulfilled (Romans 5:10).
3. He arose victoriously (Luke 18:33, Romans 8:34, and I Corinthians 15:20).
III. Conclusion: The future of the church is secure as wellÉ
A. Besides the point of Hades not keeping the church from being established, even when the church was heavily persecuted (i.e. Acts 8:3-4), the Lord made sure she was not removed (Hebrews 12:22-23; 28, and Revelation 21:7-10).
B. Nothing will prevent the church being delivered to the Father (I Corinthians 15:24-28).
© 2010 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager