The Difference Between Carnal and Spiritual Thinking
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Someone who uses carnal thinking CANNOT please God (Romans 8:4-8).
1. The carnal mind is based in what is earthly, sensual, and devilish (James 3:13-18).
2. Carnal thinking creates an internal war (Galatians 5:16-17).
B. As Christians, we’re expected by God not to be focused on our physical desires (Romans 13:14).
1. The spiritually minded individual brings into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ (II Corinthians 10:5).
2. In Christ, I am supposed to have already destroyed my carnal desires (Galatians 5:24).
II. Body: Consider the thinking of a pure, spiritually minded person (Titus 1:15)…
A. The spiritual mind understands the danger of fleshly desires (I Peter 2:11).
1. In relationships, there is a difference between spiritual and carnal thinking (Proverbs 13:20).
b. The spiritually minded person would struggle with having worldly friendships (John 17:14, Romans 12:9, and James 4:4).
2. Spiritually minded people take time to be thankful for our blessings (Ephesians 5:20), while the carnally minded person is not thankful (Romans 1:21).
a. The thankful mindset aids you in realizing what you have rather than always wanting more (cf. I Timothy 6:6-10).
b. The thankful mindset helps you keep humble too, in that you realize everything you are and have originated with God (Psalms 40:5).
3. Spiritually minded people see prosperity in spiritual things rather than earthly wealth (Hebrews 11:24-26).
4. The view of death is not bleak for spiritually minded people (Philippians 1:21).
5. Spiritually minded people do not get consumed with the cares of this life (Mark 4:19 and II Timothy 2:3-4).
B. The spiritual mind sees the church as the spiritual body of Christ (Ephesians 1:22-23).
1. Spiritually minded people realize the church is about spiritual work (Romans 15:25-27, Ephesians 4:16, and I Thessalonians 1:1; 7-8).
a. Contrary to the will of our Lord, carnally minded people want the church of food and entertainment rather than the church of Christ (Romans 14:17 and Colossians 2:18-23).
b. Carnal minds see buildings and physical things, while the spiritually minded see the church as saved people (Acts 2:47 and I Corinthians 12:27).
2. Spiritually minded people see the worship assembly as something that is to be pleasing to God rather than to man (John 4:23-24 and Hebrews 12:28).
C. The carnal mind doesn’t understand the Scriptures (I Corinthians 2:13-14).
1. When there is even a hint of carnality, spiritual lessons cannot be understood (I Corinthians 3:1-3).
2. Those who are spiritually minded have set aside all things that prevent spiritual growth (I Peter 2:1-3).
III. Conclusion: John 6:63
© 2012 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager