Take Time For Leisure
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. We know the importance of staying busy in the right things (I Corinthians 15:58).
1. We know that we will be rewarded according to our works (Matthew 16:27 and II Corinthians 5:10).
2. We know that our faith dies if we do not work (James 2:14-26).
B. We know that laziness is not befitting of a child of God (Proverbs 6:6-11 and Romans 12:11).
1. This is true in the spiritual life of Christians (Hebrews 6:10-12).
2. It is also true in our physical labors (II Thessalonians 3:7-15).
3. Does this mean that we never get to take a break or enjoy the fruit of our labors?
II. Body: What Does Our Lord Teach About Leisure (Mark 6:30-32)?
A. Our Lord never intended for our spiritual lives to be a burden and extremely difficult to live (Matthew 11:28-30).
1. We have a life of liberty in Christ (Galatians 5:1).
2. His commandments are not grievous (I John 5:2-3).
3. The life of Christ was about work (John 4:31-38), but He also took appropriate times of leisure for which some condemned Him (Luke 7:31-35).
4. As an example, consider how that God allows us to be married and care for the things of the world in such (I Corinthians 7:32-34).
B. God expects us to enjoy the lawful (I Corinthians 10:31 and Colossians 3:17) physical things of life (Ecclesiastes 2:24 and I Timothy 6:17).
1. We can and should “love life” (Psalms 34:12-14 and I Peter 3:10-11).
2. At the same time, we have to balance this in reminding ourselves that we have surrendered our lives to Christ (II Corinthians 5:14-15).
3. We have to be cautious in not allowing our focus to change (Romans 13:13-14 and I Timothy 5:6).
4. God doesn’t expect us to get done with our physical responsibilities and then have the Scriptures in front of us the rest of the time (Ecclesiastes 12:12).
C. In all things, with BALANCE, understand the value of time (Ephesians 5:16).
1. Time is valuable (Ecclesiastes 8:5 and John 9:4).
2. Time, in this world, is short (II Samuel 14:14, Psalms 103:15-16, and James 4:13-16).
3. We should redeem [buy up] time (Colossians 4:5; cf. Psalms 90:12).
III. Conclusion: Ecclesiastes 5:13-20
© 2016 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager