Words Of Truth
"That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth..." (Proverbs 22:21).
Some Things About Christians People Want To Ignore
Outline by Brian A. Yeager
A. The behavior of faithful Christians is always in accordance with the will of the Lord (Colossians 1:10).
1. Christians have to know how to walk and please God (I Thessalonians 4:1-2 and Revelation 4:11).
2. As Christians, we do not serve our own will (Romans 6:16-22).
3. So, if someone disagrees with how faithful Christians act while following the Scriptures (Luke 11:28), who do they really have a problem with?
B. In considering the conduct of Christians, one must understand that in addition to stated commands of God, we also follow approved examples of behavior in the Scriptures (I Corinthians 11:1, II Thessalonians 3:9, and I Peter 2:21).
1. Examples we see in Christ might be shocking to some (i.e. John 2:13-17).
2. Examples we see in the Apostles might be shocking to some (i.e. Acts 13:6-12).
3. Yet, those examples are patterns for the faithful (Philippians 3:17 and I John 2:3-6).
II. Body: People Of The World Do Not Understand The Actions Of Faithful Saints (Acts 17:16-18, I Corinthians 1:18, I Corinthians 2:14, etc.).
A. Everyone seems to know Christians are kind, gentle, loving, civil, etc. (Ephesians 4:31-32, Romans 13:8-10, Titus 3:1-2, etc.), but what about the fact that Christians also hate (Revelation 2:6; cf. Psalms 139:17-22)?
1. It is hypocritical to love good and not abhor [detest] evil (Romans 12:9).
2. This is visibly noticeable in the actions of those whom love the Lord and His truth (Psalms 26:4-5 and I Peter 4:1-5).
B. People seem to know Christians try to teach the lost (Matthew 5:14-16 and I Peter 3:1-4), answer for our faith (I Peter 3:15), even love our enemies (Matthew 5:44); but what about the fact that Christians also “deliver unto Satan” (I Timothy 1:18-20)?
1. Some we won’t even try to teach (Matthew 7:6 and II Timothy 2:23).
2. Some we start working with, we will give up on (Acts 13:44-46).
C. Consider some “shocking facts” about faithful followers of the Lord...
1. Christians won’t help everyone who asks (II Thessalonians 3:10-15).
2. Christians will speak sharply when need be (Titus 1:10-14).
3. Christians will talk “negatively” about some people (Matthew 23:1-33 and Romans 16:17-18).
4. Christians won’t “accept everyone with loving, open arms” (Ephesians 5:6-11).
5. Christians won’t open their homes to everyone (II John 1:6-11).
6. Christians don’t overlook the bad and “see the good in everybody” (I John 3:8-10).
7. Christians do not want to fit into society (II Corinthians 6:14-18 and Philippians 3:20).
8. Christians aren’t so trusting (I John 4:1).
9. Christians will judge other people (John 7:24 and I Corinthians 6:2).
10. Christians will use “strong terms” (Matthew 3:7, Matthew 16:21-23, Galatians 3:1-3, Hebrews 12:8, etc.) when appropriate (I Corinthians 6:12).
III. Conclusion: Like It Or Not, Faithful Christians Aren’t Going To Try And Fit In To This World’s Expectations Of Us (John 17:14 and Romans 12:1-2)!
Class and Sermon Outline Index
© 2017 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager