Repentance Needs To Be Seen, Not Just Heard
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Sin separates you from God (Isaiah 59:1-3).
1. Sin brings loss in a providential manner (Jeremiah 5:25).
2. Sin certainly is a loss in a spiritual manner (II Peter 2:4-9).
B. Just saying a prayer is NOT enough (Psalms 66:18 and Acts 8:13-24).
1. In fact, the prayer of those who reject GodŐs truth is an abomination to Him (Proverbs 28:9; cf. I Peter 3:12).
2. In fact, the unclean are not heard (Isaiah 1:10-18 and I Timothy 2:8).
II. Body: Bring Forth Fruit Meet For Repentance (Matthew 3:1-10).
A. Action is required (Acts 26:18-20).
1. Words donŐt mean much of anything (Matthew 21:28-32).
2. God is a show me God (Ezekiel 14:6, Matthew 12:33, and Revelation 2:1-5).
B. A person truly desires to change commits to change (Luke 19:1-10).
1. True repentance doesnŐt come with excuses (Psalms 32:5).
2. A full turn from sin is required (II Chronicles 7:14, Proverbs 28:13, John 8:1-11, Ephesians 5:6-11, and Titus 2:11-14).
C. A few things that are NOT repentanceÉ
1. Being sorry [a godly sorrow] leads to repentance (II Corinthians 7:9-10), but is not repentance (Matthew 19:16-22).
2. Confessing your sins is a separate action from repentance (Acts 19:18-19).
3. Fear is not repentance (Matthew 28:1-4; 11-15).
4. Fear is the beginning of knowledge (Proverbs 1:7), but it is not repentance (Acts 24:24-25).
5. Guilt is not repentance (Mark 6:12-28 and Luke 23:7-12).
III. Conclusion: II Timothy 2:19.
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager