Ready, But Not Hurrying To Answer
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. We all want to be spiritually mature (I Corinthians 14:20) and knowledgeable (Colossians 3:10).
1. Yet, it is a fact that not all Christians are mature or knowledgeable (I Corinthians 8:11-12).
2. Think of what is implied in that we will continually grow in knowledge (Colossians 1:10).
3. Therefore, NONE OF US will ALWAYS know the answer (cf. Acts 15:1-6).
B. Knowledge can also become dangerous (I Corinthians 8:1).
1. Some people have a misplaced NEED to answer to prove they “KNOW IT ALL” (Proverbs 3:7).
2. That prideful attitude also leads to contention (Proverbs 13:10).
a. Remember to contend for the faith (Jude 3)…
b. …Without being contentious (Titus 3:9).
II. Body: Yes, We Want To Defend Self and Truth (Proverbs 28:4, Acts 18:28, Philippians 1:17, and I Peter 3:14-17), But…
A. …Be not rash (Ecclesiastes 5:2 and James 1:19).
1. We need to take time to think before we answer (Proverbs 15:28 and Proverbs 16:23).
2. We need to make SURE our answer is correct (Ephesians 4:25).
a. As an illustration, someone asks if it is wrong to read a book where there is fornication, witchcraft, and murder in it.
b. A “Christian”, that is still unskillful in the word, twist Scriptures like Ephesians 5:3-12, saying that such a book is sinful.
c. That foolish Christian just then condemned anyone who reads the Scriptures, which contain true accounts of…
i. Fornication [explicitly] (Genesis 19:30-38, Genesis 38:12-24, II Samuel 11:1-27, II Samuel 13:1-18, I Corinthians 5:1, etc.).
ii. Witchcraft (I Samuel 28:1-25, Isaiah 19:3, etc.).
iii. Murder (Genesis 4:1-15, Genesis 34:25-31, Exodus 2:11-15, I Kings 15:27-29, Matthew 2:16, Acts 12:1-2, etc.).
B. …Be not many teachers (James 3:1).
1. You have to KNOW what you’re teaching (I Timothy 1:3-7).
2. There is a greater judgment (Ezekiel 33:7-8, Malachi 2:1-9, Matthew 18:1-6, Acts 20:26-27, and II Peter 2:1).
C. …Be not wise in your own conceits [self-wisdom] (Romans 12:16).
1. More hope for a fool than such a person (Proverbs 26:12).
2. Cease from your own wisdom (Proverbs 23:4).
3. If you’re a genius, dumb it up quick (I Corinthians 3:18-20).
III. Conclusion: BE RIGHT when you do give a thought through answer (Proverbs 30:5-6)!
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager