Pointing Your Mind In The Right Direction
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Face it, the world we live in is full of distractions (John 16:33).
1. Illnesses and physical problems (II Timothy 4:20).
2. Financial struggles (Proverbs 23:5).
3. Family & friendship matters (Luke 21:16-17).
B. We must avoid being entangled with the affairs of this life (II Timothy 2:3-4).
1. Those worldly cares can destroy the effect of the word of God in our lives (Luke 8:14).
2. The world can entangle us (II Peter 2:20).
3. Choose to prioritize properly (Luke 10:38-42).
II. Body: Getting to a different way of thinking (Romans 12:1-2)É
A. Starts with getting to or going back to putting off the old man (Ephesians 4:17-24).
1. You canŐt think like the person you used to be (I Peter 1:13-14).
2. As Christians, the things we face in life have to be answered the way God wants us to deal with them (Proverbs 19:21; cf. Colossians 3:17).
B. Remove what is hindering you (Hebrews 12:1-3).
1. You canŐt have obstacles in place and expect progress (I Peter 2:1-2).
2. Let what you cannot remove benefit you (James 1:2-4).
3. DonŐt get swallowed up in sorrow (II Corinthians 2:7; cf. Proverbs 12:25).
C. The turmoil we face in this world can be overcome by redirection toward what can bring peaceful thinking (Psalms 119:165).
1. If your focus is on worldly things, youŐre sure to be troubled in mind (Ecclesiastes 1:1-3 and I John 2:15-17).
2. Change what you desire (Psalms 119:166, Psalms 119:174, John 12:25-26, Galatians 5:24, and Colossians 3:1-4).
3. The key to it all – earnestly desire and think about something better than all we see around us (II Corinthians 4:6-5:4)!
a. Paul faced physical problems, but kept on (Galatians 4:13-14).
b. Paul didnŐt let financial matters distract him (Philippians 4:11-13).
c. Paul didnŐt allow physical relationships or ties to hinder him (Philippians 3:4-8).
d. Follow those examples (I Corinthians 4:16; 11:1).
III. Conclusion: Think on these things (Philippians 4:6-8). *More next week as we define Ňthese thingsÓ.
© 2014 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager