Words Of Truth
"That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth..." (Proverbs 22:21).
People Have Long Wished The Truth Would Go Away
Outline by Brian A. Yeager
A. We have to remind ourselves that people cannot see what they are unwilling to look for (Matthew 13:10-15).
1. Its not your fault when people don’t want to listen (John 8:31-47 and II Corinthians 4:1-4).
2. The Gospel does the converting (Romans 1:15-17), but it takes a person willing to obey it for it to do so (I Thessalonians 2:13 and Hebrews 4:1-2).
B. We also have to remind ourselves that the hatred for the message will often result in hatred of the messenger (John 3:19-21 and John 7:7).
1. Telling the truth creates enemies (Galatians 4:16).
2. Why did Ahab hate Micaiah (I Kings 22:1-8)?
3. You won’t be loved by those who don’t want to hear it (Proverbs 15:12 and Amos 5:10).
II. Body: Some Just Don’t Want To Hear It So They Desire The Message and Messenger To Go Away (Isaiah 30:9-11 and Acts 24:22-25).
A. The priest of Bethel banned the prophet (Amos 7:10-17).
1. There was a reason the truth wasn’t welcome in Bethel (I Kings 12:26-33).
2. The sinner often charges the truthful messenger with being the problem (I Kings 18:17, Luke 23:1-2, and Acts 24:1-6).
3. They will twist your words (Psalms 56:5 and Luke 11:53-54).
4. When the truth is rejected, move on (Acts 13:44-51; cf. Matthew 7:6).
B. They refused to listen, stopped their ears, made their hearts as an adamant stone (Zechariah 7:1-14).
1. Even when people appear religious, do religious things; that doesn’t mean they want to hear or obey the truth (Isaiah 29:13, Mark 7:1-13, Matthew 6:5-7, and Matthew 23:28).
2. The best of teachers cannot change hearts (Acts 28:23-27).
3. God doesn’t change hearts (Deuteronomy 5:27-29 and Luke 6:43-45).
C. Consider some reasons people don’t want to hear the truth...
1. They want to stay where they are (John 12:36-43).
2. They want the lies they believe (Jeremiah 5:30-31 and II Timothy 4:2-4).
3. They’re not ashamed to follow error (Jeremiah 6:13-16 and Micah 2:1-11).
4. Even some who will listen, they have a stopping point (Mark 6:17-28).
5. They’re too carnally minded (Romans 8:5-8) and this is why they will listen to the wrong people (II Peter 2:18 and Jude 1:16).
III. Conclusion: Let’s Not Grant The Wish Of The Masses By Allowing The Truth To Go Away (Philippians 1:27).
Class and Sermon Outline Index
© 2017 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager