Sermon Outline By Brian A. Yeager
Our Own Wisdom And Knowledge Can Pervert Us
A. We are warned against being wise in our own eyes (Isaiah 5:21).
1. When we are wise in our own eyes we think weÕre always right (Proverbs 12:15 and Proverbs 26:12).
2. That leads to rejecting the truth (Proverbs 30:12).
B. Some give themselves too much credit for what they accomplish (Ezekiel 28:1-10).
1. True wisdom comes with humility (Proverbs 11:2).
2. As we should all know, we have to be humble to be able to learn (Jeremiah 44:1-10; cf. Isaiah 55:6-9) and make corrections in our lives (II Chronicles 7:14).
II. Body: Our lesson is taken from what God said about Babylon (Isaiah 47:1-10).
A. True wisdom is from God (Proverbs 2:6-7; cf. Psalms 119:97-102).
1. Some are wise, but not for good (Jeremiah 4:22).
2. Worldly wisdom is not godly wisdom (I Corinthians 2:6-7 and I Corinthians 3:19).
3. You cannot use worldly wisdom to carry out righteous, spiritual works (Romans 8:4-8 and I Corinthians 4:6).
B. True knowledge is from God (II Corinthians 4:5-7 and II Peter 1:1-4).
1. It is not good to be without true knowledge (Proverbs 19:1-2 and Hosea 4:1-6).
2. Without true knowledge sin abounds (Ephesians 4:17-19).
3. When we speak without knowledge those words are also void of wisdom becoming vain words (Job 34:35, Job 35:16, and Job 38:1-2).
4. Even when weÕre zealous, we err if we act without knowledge (Romans 10:1-3).
C. Our hearts can lead us astray (Jeremiah 17:9).
1. Walk wisely rather than foolishly trusting in your own heart (Proverbs 28:26).
2. The only way we can have good hearts is to have our hearts purified (Jeremiah 4:14, Ezekiel 18:31, and James 4:8-10).
3. To be very clear, our hearts need to be pure (Matthew 5:8) for a godly heart is important in your service to God (Proverbs 4:20-22 and Romans 6:17).
III. Conclusion: LetÕs be sure to live by the wisdom that is from above (James 3:13-18).
© 2011 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager