Our Lord Shows Us How To Love
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager (http://www.wordsoftruth.net)
A. Truth is often twisted and perverted (II Peter 3:16-18).
1. People read in the Bible that God is love and they twist that to falsely conclude He does not hate (Psalms 5:4-5, Psalms 11:4-6, and Hebrews 1:8-9).
2. People read John 3:16 and falsely conclude that no one will be lost (Matthew 7:13-14, Matthew 7:21-23, Matthew 25:31-46, and II Thessalonians 1:7-9).
3. Like all truths, we have to carefully examine the subject of love before we start making conclusions on what love is and is not (II Timothy 2:14-18).
B. God is love (I John 4:8 and I John 4:16).
1. We’re supposed to let all things be done with love (I Corinthians 16:14).
2. We’re told to put on charity (Colossians 3:14).
3. We’re supposed to love as He loves (John 13:34-35).
II. Body: We’re supposed to follow God’s example, including walking in love (Ephesians 5:1-2)…
A. …In showing love rather than talking love (I John 3:1; 16).
1. We’re instructed to show our love to God (John 14:21-24, John 15:10, and I John 5:2-3).
2. We’re instructed to show our love to our brethren (I John 3:17-18).
3. We’re instructed to show our love to our families (Ephesians 5:22-6:4).
B. …In practicing what some call “tough love” (Proverbs 1:24-31, Proverbs 3:11-12, Proverbs 28:9, Matthew 16:21-23, Acts 5:1-10, and Revelation 3:19).
1. By not being silent when correction is needed (Proverbs 27:5, Luke 17:3-4, and I Timothy 5:20).
2. God withdraws Himself from those who err, as we should also (Matthew 18:15-17, II Thessalonians 3:6; 14-15, and I Timothy 6:3-5).
3. God requires us to keep our relationship with Him (I Corinthians 8:3 and Jude 21) as much as He established a relationship with us (I John 4:9-10).
C. …In not allowing anything or anyone to separate you from those who actively love you (Romans 8:31-39).
1. When we truly love God (John 14:15), He does not allow anyone ELSE to break-up His relationship with us (John 10:27-29).
2. The Lord must ALWAYS be our first love (Mark 12:29-30) without anyone coming between us and Him (Luke 14:26-27).
3. After the Lord, considering all we’ve discussed already, we cannot allow any person or thing between us as brethren (Hebrews 13:1).
4. Nor, again considering all we’ve already discussed [i.e. providing their not apostates, standing between us and the Lord, etc.] can we allow separation between us and our families (Titus 2:3-5).
A. The love of our Lord is a subject that the carnal mind cannot know (Ephesians 3:16-19).
B. The love of our Lord is more than what we covered. Thus, consider a few things we should love as God does so that your appetite to study further will be stimulated…
1. He loves righteousness (Psalms 11:7).
2. He loves judgment (Psalms 37:28).
3. He loves those that follow righteousness (Proverbs 15:9).
4. He loves those who love Jesus (John 16:27).
© 2011 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager