1. Can we answer [reply] at the right time wherein what we say can bring joy to us and/or others?
Yes: “A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it” (Proverbs 15:23)!
- Proverbs 16:13, Proverbs 24:26, Proverbs 25:11-12, Ephesians 4:29, and I Thessalonians 5:11.
2. What way does the wise choose to follow?
The way of life: “The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath” (Proverbs 15:24).
- There are two paths in life (Jeremiah 21:8 and Matthew 7:13-14).
- One way is right (John 14:6 and Acts 16:17), the other way seems right but ends wrong (Proverbs 14:12; 16:25).
3. Is the proud person in better standing with the Lord than a widow?
The widow: “The LORD will destroy the house of the proud: but he will establish the border of the widow” (Proverbs 15:25).
- It must first be stated that just because a woman is a widow, that does not mean that she is in good standing with the Lord (I Timothy 5:11-15).
- Having made that clear, no proud person is in good standing with the Lord (Psalms 138:6 and James 4:6).
4. How does God view the thoughts of a wicked person?
They are an abomination to Him: “The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words” (Proverbs 15:26).
- Thoughts matter (Genesis 6:5, Proverbs 24:9, Isaiah 59:7, Jeremiah 4:14, and Matthew 15:19).
- On the other hand, the words of pure individuals are pleasant (Psalms 37:30-31).
5. Is it good to be greedy of gain?
No: “He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live” (Proverbs 15:27).
- Christians ought to be people of contentment (Philippians 4:11-13, I Timothy 6:6-10, and Hebrews 13:5-6).
6. Is it good to ponder things before we speak?
Yes: “The heart of the righteous studieth to answer: but the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things” (Proverbs 15:28).
- Proverbs 10:19, Ecclesiastes 5:1-3, Ecclesiastes 10:13-14, and James 3:1.
7. Does the Lord hear the prayers of the wicked?
No: “The LORD is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous” (Proverbs 15:29).
- Psalms 34:16, Proverbs 15:8, Proverbs 28:9, Isaiah 1:11-16, Isaiah 59:1-3, Jeremiah 14:10-12, John 9:31, and I Peter 3:12.
8. Can what we see and what we hear affect us positively?
Yes: “The light of the eyes rejoiceth the heart: and a good report maketh the bones fat” (Proverbs 15:30).
- Seeing good is helpful or harmful (Matthew 6:22-23).
- Hearing good news is helpful (Proverbs 25:25, Colossians 1:3-4, I Thessalonians 3:1-8, and III John 3-4).
9. What kind of person hears reproof [correction]?
“The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise” (Proverbs 15:31).
- Proverbs 9:8-9, Proverbs 15:5, Proverbs 17:10, Proverbs 19:20, and Proverbs 25:12.
10. Does someone who cares for his or her own soul refuse instruction?
No: “He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding” (Proverbs 15:32).
- Proverbs 1:24-32, Proverbs 29:1, John 12:48, II Thessalonians 1:7-9, and Hebrews 12:25.
11. Must one be humble to eventually receive true honor?
Yes: “The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility” (Proverbs 15:33).
- Proverbs 18:12, Proverbs 29:23, Luke 14:11, James 4:10, and I Peter 5:5-6.