1. What keeps one who is upright “in the way”?
“Righteousness keepeth him that is upright in the way…” (Proverbs 13:6).
* Psalms 25:21, Psalms 26:1, Proverbs 2:20, Proverbs 11:3, and Proverbs 11:5-6.
* The way of righteousness (Matthew 21:32; cf. John 14:6).
* Some turn away from the way of righteousness (II Peter 2:20-22).
2. What overthrows sinners?
“…but wickedness overthroweth the sinner” (Proverbs 13:6).
* II Chronicles 28:22-23, Proverbs 21:12, Isaiah 1:28, and Galatians 6:7-8.
3. If one is financially wealthy does that mean they have everything they need?
No: “There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches” (Proverbs 13:7).
* James 5:1-6, and Revelation 3:17; cf. Matthew 9:12
4. Will rich men try to use their wealth as a ransom [redemption price]?
Yes: “The ransom of a man's life are his riches: but the poor heareth not rebuke” (Proverbs 13:8; cf. Jeremiah 41:8).
* In some ways this is right (Exodus 21:28-30).
* However, one who is rich cannot pay their way or anyone else’s way out of transgressions (Psalms 49:6-10 and Matthew 16:26).
5. Will the light of the righteous outshine that of the wicked?
Yes: “The light of the righteous rejoiceth: but the lamp of the wicked shall be put out” (Proverbs 13:9).
* Light of the righteous (Proverbs 4:18 and Matthew 5:14-16).
* Lamp of the wicked (Job 18:5-6, Proverbs 24:20, and Matthew 25:1-13).
6. Does pride bring about contention?
Yes: “Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom” (Proverbs 13:10). * Luke 22:24-30 and III John 9-11.
7. If one is to gain wealth, what way should they go about doing so?
Through hard work: “Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase” (Proverbs 13:11).
* Wealth gotten by vanity (Job 20:15, Proverbs 10:2, Proverbs 20:21, and Jeremiah 17:11).
* Laboring for increase (Psalms 128:2 and Proverbs 27:23-27).
8. When you wait for something good to come, how do you feel when it finally occurs?
“Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life” (Proverbs 13:12).
* Luke 2:25-30
9. What will happen to those who despise God’s word?
“Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded” (Proverbs 13:13).
* Proverbs 1:30-31, Ezekiel 20:10-26, John 12:48, and Hebrews 10:26-31.
* Those that fear the commands of God and obey them will be rewarded (Psalms 19:7-11).
10. What good comes from the law of the wise?
“The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death” (Proverbs 13:14).
* Psalms 111:10 and Proverbs 28:7.