Words Of Truth
"That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth..." (Proverbs 22:21).
Now The Days Of David Drew Nigh That He Should Die...
Outline by Brian A. Yeager
A. David’s final days on this earth were certainly challenging (I Kings 1:1-53).
B. Godly people, even stricken with old age, care about the future of the faithful (i.e. Genesis 24:1-9; cf. Genesis 50:24 and Exodus 6:8).
1. Common of Godly leaders (Deuteronomy 31:14, Joshua 23:14-16, etc.).
2. When Paul was nearing death (II Timothy 4:6), he charged Timothy concerning the future (II Timothy 2:1-4 and II Timothy 4:1-5).
3. When Peter was ready to die… (II Peter 1:12-15).
4. The ultimate example… (John 16:7-15).
II. Body: Let’s Make Some Applications From David’s Last Days (I Kings 2:1-4).
A. David began as a man after God’s own heart (Acts 13:22), but...
1. He didn’t stay that way II Samuel 11:1-12:23, I Chronicles 13:1-14; I Chronicles 15:1-14, and I Chronicles 21:1-30).
2. Yet, David was later commended by inspired men (I Kings 15:1-5) necessarily inferring that all was made right (cf. Psalms 32:5).
3. I know that most of us can relate to having failed the Lord and having had to make things right (I John 1:8-10).
4. Let’s teach others to learn from our mistakes (i.e. I Corinthians 10:1-12).
B. In his last days, David charged Solomon to be strong as a man (I Chronicles 28:20).
1. We all have to be strong (I Corinthians 16:13 and Ephesians 6:10).
2. For, we will face adversity (I Peter 4:12-19).
3. If we are not really strong we will faint (Proverbs 24:10).
C. David knew that obedience was required for a good relationship with the Lord and thus he instructed his son to obey God (I Chronicles 28:8-9).
1. We must all obey God (Luke 6:46-49, John 15:10, II Thessalonians 1:7-10, and Hebrews 5:8-9).
2. We must all teach our children such too (Proverbs 4:1-5 and Ephesians 6:4).
D. David knew God would not violate His promises, but he also knew there were conditions in place regarding His promises (Psalms 89:20-37).
1. God keep’s His promises (Titus 1:1-3) as He expects us to remain faithful to our commitment too (James 1:12).
2. God’s promises have already required mutual cooperation (John 14:23-24).
III. Conclusion: As David, Let’s Take What We Know And Teach It So That The Generations To Come Can Be Even Better Prepared Than We Are (Psalms 145:1-21).
Class and Sermon Outline Index
© 2017 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager