Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Faithful Christians are servants of the Lord (Romans 6:22 and Colossians 4:12).
1. Not servants as they were under the Law of Moses (Galatians 4:1-7).
2. We are purchased servants of the Lord (Romans 6:18 and I Corinthians 7:22-23; cf. I Peter 1:18-19).
B. In instructions to carnal servants [slaves], they were instructed about Ňnot purloiningÓ and showing good fidelity [faith]; (Titus 2:9-10).
1. There are applications to be made in talking about carnal servants and spiritual servants of the Lord (Colossians 3:22-25).
2. Purloining in Titus 2:10 means Ňkeep backÓ (StrongŐs # 3557).
3. We see that word only in two other verses in the New Testament (Acts 5:2-3) and should consider itŐs meaning from that context (Acts 4:34-5:11).
4. Does real faith cause one to hold back from serving God (Romans 1:17 and Hebrews 11:1-40)?
II. Body: DonŐt Keep Back From What Is Your Service To Do (Romans 12:11, Romans 14:8, II Corinthians 5:14-15, and I Peter 4:1-2).
A. This level of service starts with proper focus (Mark 12:28-34).
1. DonŐt have a divided heart (Hosea 10:1-2).
2. Have a devoted heart (Psalms 119:2).
3. A divided heart wonŐt work (Matthew 6:24).
B. Realize holding back is a character trait of a thief (John 12:1-8).
1. God has granted you abilities to use for His glory (I Peter 4:11).
2. If you prevent GodŐs work from being done youŐre a thief (Jeremiah 23:30; cf. Ephesians 4:25).
C. DonŐt expect a servantŐs reward if youŐre not serving (Luke 12:36-48).
1. Our reward is based upon our work (Revelation 22:12).
2. Does God favorably reward someone that does nothing (Luke 19:11-27)?
III. Conclusion: At the same time, even when doing all your rightful duties to God, donŐt think more of it that what it is (Luke 17:7-10).
© 2015 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager