Not Being A Defeatist
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
I. Introduction: Defeatist: “a person who expects or is excessively ready to accept failure” (New Oxford American Dictionary).
A. It is easy to get the “I am destroyed mindset” (Psalms 55:4-8).
1. You can find yourself “broken” (Psalms 69:20).
2. You can feel full of troubles (Psalms 88:3-18).
B. We know life in this world is never going to be easy (Psalms 90:10).
1. The world won’t offer us peace (John 16:33).
2. We’ll face problems because we’re Christians (I Peter 4:12-16).
3. We’ll also face problems that having NOTHING to do with us being Christians (Ecclesiastes 2:17-23).
II. Body: Don’t Be A Victim (James 1:2-4).
A. Don’t get too tired (Galatians 6:9).
1. Endurance is the key (II Thessalonians 1:4 and James 5:10-11).
2. Don’t let the woe is me attitude rule you (Jeremiah 10:19).
3. Remember the sources of comfort you have in difficult times (Psalms 119:92, Psalms 119:143, I Thessalonians 5:11, II Thessalonians 2:16-17, Hebrews 2:14-18, and I Peter 5:7).
B. Some good comes from hard times (Romans 5:3-4).
1. Humility (II Chronicles 33:11-12).
2. Growth (Psalms 119:71).
3. Realize what matters (Romans 8:18).
C. Know that it is temporary (Matthew 5:4 and I Peter 1:6-9).
1. Realize that there are some things we cannot change, so we have to move forward (II Samuel 12:15-23, Acts 16:23-25, and II Corinthians 12:7-10).
2. You will come out of tough times (Proverbs 12:13).
III. Conclusion: Be The Victor (I Corinthians 15:57 and I John 5:4).
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager